• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Need some help.....

Nate McVey

The easiest way to test for a spun hub is to take a magic marker or paint pen and draw a line from the outside of the prop hub (od of the prop hub) to the inside splines of the prop. Put the hardware back on and get the motor to slip. If the lines don't line up again it's the hub. If they do, it's something internal to the gear case.

I'm confused though... you said in an earlier post that it was a spun hub.. .but they didn't replace the prop, yet they replaced some seals in the lower unit?

marine_man

Quote:
but they didn't replace the prop, yet they replaced some seals in the lower unit?

They did replace the prop, but never bothered to look at anything else. Turns out the drive shaft was broken (evident by the fact that it wasn't pumping water).

They're taking the prop back and not charging me for labor because they didn't figure it out the first time. Thanks a lot for all your help!

Broken Driveshaft? That's the last thing I woulda expected.

Turns out it the "kid" that worked on it chocked it up to a spun hub and that was that. It apparently is broken up in the powerhead.........

Chris, thanks for your help here and on the phone the other day, I appreciate it.

SOOOOO.....is the motor toast, when that happens,or is it fixable? Sounds pretty major.

Nah, as long as it didn't munch up the splines in the motor head it's not too bad. All the work is in the lower unit. Disassembling the lower unit isn't a fun job but as long as you have the proper tools it goes fairly quick.

SOOOOO.....is the motor toast, when that happens,or is it fixable? Sounds pretty major.

No, not toast.......but the hits just keep on coming! Picked the boat up today and found out it is now only running on one cylinder all of a sudden...... diagnostics say bad power pack........

It ran fine when I brought it in the first time, ran fine before I brought it in the 2nd time...not sure what's going on. I'm going to put the muffs on in a bit and see what's going on myself. I wonder if they didn't loosen something when they were putting everything back together.....

Ok, time to resurrect this thread as I have ANOTHER issue......

Fished the Rum up in Ramsey on Saturday. Motor ran well (it's a no wake zone so it ran well at less than 5 mph) and we didn't hit anything. I left the boat with my Brother in law for a few weeks and got the following pictures at work last night. We didn't hit anything in the river and didn't have any issues. I'm going up there on Tuesday to drain the lower unit and see what that looks like. Anybody have any thoughts? Thanks guys....

full-14168-10234-imagejpeg952.jpg

full-14168-10235-imagejpeg952_2.jpg

full-14168-10236-imagejpeg953_2.jpg

Id agree with the unburned gas/oil mix. Idled for a long time? If it smells gassy and burned then that's what it is.

Ok, I'm trying to learn/figure this stuff out, so thank you.....

The motor exhausts through the prop right? So the unburned gas/oil mix isn't a huge issue?

It did idle for more than it normally does, but not an extended amount of time.....