• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Kabetogama Bluegills/Crappies?

kabfisher

I don't know of any bluegills on Kab, most of the smaller lakes towards orr have them though.

Kab does have crappies, though pressure in the last few winters has taken a toll on the population. Look to the Cutover Island area, Lost Lake, Ash river narrows, Sullivan Bay, and Rudder bay for crappies. Depending on the time of year cast small jigs towards shore or slip bobbers in the spring. Or Run you electronics in 10-20' of water looking for suspended fish as well and fish them using the same tactics.

Can you get into lost lake with a 20ft crestliner? We normally just go for the walleyes and northerns but this year we are going later (1st week of June), we've always talked about trying for crappies up there. Also has anyone fished the Ek's bay area with any success for crappies?

Yeah you can get in there. You must be referring to Lost Bay Farley. There are crappie up there too. I have never fished them up there in the summer, but I have in the winter. Same story, it used to be better before it got pressured heavily in the winter. Don't get me wrong there is still a good population of crappies in Kab to be caught.

Ek Lake also has some nice crappies and big pike. VNP has a canoe in on the lake, you can get the key from the Ash River Visitors Center. It's a nice short little hike, less than a 1/2 mile if I remember right.

If you are going in the first week of June I would try working the areas that have been mentioned with slip bobber rigs in 8' or less of water.

O.K., I thought you were talking about whats labled "lost lake" (strait accross from ash river) on this map and I was wondering if the channel was deep enough to get my boat in there. Also was wondering if the area labled "Lost Bay" holds crappies. Either way, thanks a lot for the info, I think were going to give it a whirl this year. I didnt realize there was that much icefishing for crappies going on up there. That area over by Cutover looks pretty interesting as well. Thanks again.

kabeastend.jpg

Farley,

How was the hard water fishing this year? Never did run into you. I see your heading to Kab the first week in June.What dates will you be up? Our group will be up from May 28th - June 4th.. Maybe we will see you at the watering hole..

Fishin was so so most of the winter for us. Were goin up to Kab May 30th - June 5th. So yeah, we might see ya at Rocky Ledge, ya know Dirty Richard cant sell booze anymore? Here is our boat, if you see it out on the water, swing by. Either that or the whole crew will be up Thurs night, our cabin is the grey one at the end of "Old Gappa Road" so swing on up.

crestliner.jpg

The ice was the same for us.. Not to hot.. Hope this year is better than last year for ya on Kab.. We make a couple stops while we are up there and Rocky is one of them. We also frequent Kec's and Sandy Point. Where is your cabin from the Visitors Center??

Bout 200-300 yards to the south-southeast of the Visitors center. If it werent for the trees I could probably drive a golf ball to the landing from our cabin. You gotta take old gappa to get to our cabin though. Min. maitnence road, 2nd to last cabin on the left.