• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

grass seed - get what you pay for?

shnelson

I imagine the statement is true for grass seed as it is for practically everything else, but figured I'd pose the question.

Men's Mart (F****tFarm) has a 50lb bag of "Superior Premium Grass Seed Contractor's Mix" for $45. It doesn't give any mix details on the bag other than "formulated for your area", so I'm a bit skeptical - especially considering a 20lb bag right next to it (scotts) is selling for $38.

What's the expert opinion on this one? I've got about 3/4 acre, ~3,000sq ft around the house is sod from two years ago with the immediate surrounding area needing the seed. Looking for the best bang for my buck here. Most of my lawn is full sun, partial shade early/late in the year.

I'd avoid it. Not being able to tell which grass varieties in which proportions is reason enough to walk away. I've done well with some inexpensive seed mixes before, but without a detailed label it's too easy to get stuck with too much of the wrong grass species.

I'd avoid it. Not being able to tell which grass varieties in which proportions is reason enough to walk away. I've done well with some inexpensive seed mixes before, but without a detailed label it's too easy to get stuck with too much of the wrong grass species.

+100.

FYI I have had good luck dealing with the tall skinny guy up at the Hugo Feed Mill. He spent a decent amount of time asking about what I was planning, what my yard looked like and what I wanted to end up with. He then sold me the seed mixes that worked for the various parts of my yard and the chemicals to use to get things going and keep them up to snuff. Couple of times he gave me some ideas on cover to use to avoid erosion and things like oats and straw to help out as well.

FYI I have had good luck dealing with the tall skinny guy up at the Hugo Feed Mill. He spent a decent amount of time asking about what I was planning, what my yard looked like and what I wanted to end up with. He then sold me the seed mixes that worked for the various parts of my yard and the chemicals to use to get things going and keep them up to snuff. Couple of times he gave me some ideas on cover to use to avoid erosion and things like oats and straw to help out as well.

I too would highly recommend finding a local feed mill.

Yep

Once upon a time I attended a 1 day conference/clinic on lawn care and grass seed.

For my money and yard I want to see a nice mix of Creeping Fescue (For a self enforcing turf) and Annual Rye Grass (To serve as a nurse grass)

If I can't be guaranteed that there is something along those lines making up a sizeable proportion of the seed... Then I don't want it.

Solid feedback, thanks everyone. Will check out the hugo mill, it's on my way home from work.

Got the bobcat coming this weekend to fix the final grade (builders decided to push dirt away just enough to get the sod in, left me with moguls and canyons all over), hoping to seed soon.

Just need to figure out what to do with the remaining 3/4 acre that I don't plan on mowing.

SHnelson.

In the last Rainbow Shopper ad (4/21) there is a coupon for the Farm Store in DT Stillwater (its like a feed mill). coupon is for 1.99/lb grass seed, sunny or shady. (regular is like 2.38/lb). They have the mix listed on the bins. I've looked at them and they are a good mix IMO.

Another place to check would be Houle's on 36/Keats.

If you really want that 3/4 acre to add something give some thought to planting some native grasses and wildflowers. Check out Prairie Restoration in Scandia. Go up there and tell them what you have and see what they recommend. It will seem pricey but if you do it correctly you'll have a beautiful area for many years that you won't have to do much to. I tore up about 1/5th of my front yard and put the stuff in and I love it. So do my neighbors.

You may want to consider skipping the sod and going totally with seed. If will take a bit longer but it will be dramatically cheaper. Steve at the Hugo Feed Mill will set you up with everything you need and in about 8 weeks you'll have a decent looking lawn and by the end of the summer it will be great. For probably about 20% the cost of sod.

Solid feedback, thanks everyone. Will check out the hugo mill, it's on my way home from work.

Got the bobcat coming this weekend to fix the final grade (builders decided to push dirt away just enough to get the sod in, left me with moguls and canyons all over), hoping to seed soon.

Just need to figure out what to do with the remaining 3/4 acre that I don't plan on mowing.

Shelter belt and nesting grounds smile

If you really want that 3/4 acre to add something give some thought to planting some native grasses and wildflowers. Check out Prairie Restoration in Scandia. Go up there and tell them what you have and see what they recommend. It will seem pricey but if you do it correctly you'll have a beautiful area for many years that you won't have to do much to. I tore up about 1/5th of my front yard and put the stuff in and I love it. So do my neighbors.

+1

i've got a little prairie patch in my yard. full of wild flowers from june through september. birds love it, deer browse in there, and the flowers are very pleasing to the eye. i'd recomend a short grass mixture like little bluestem, sideoats grama, blue grama, kalms brome to go with a native flower mix.

Prairie Resto isn't cheap. I had them come out and make a plan for what I wanted in my yard. That cost $125 but I learned a lot from it and that allowed me to avoid planting the wrong stuff. They shot me a price to do the work and it was a pretty high number. It included followup work for caring for the plot for two years. I did it myself for about a third of their bid and a lot of sweat.

I have access to a lot of wildlife biologists (wife works at Pheasants Forever) and they made if very clear that planting the wrong species, getting the mix of flowers and grasses wrong, and not knowing how to maintain the area would result in a messy failure. I decided that trying to be sure that I had things right was important and decided that PR was a good place to get on the right track.

Don't just buy a 50 lb bag of some stuff at a big box and expect success.