• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Risidual Water

amateurfishing

Started cleaning up my new 84 16ft today. It came with a custom fabric cover but dont think it is 100% waterproof. I have drained water from back drainplug 4 or 5 times already this spring from snow melt, frost, rain, etc. but never get it all so today i took shop vac to it. Previous owner said bottom of boat was never 100% cause water pump location just could not get 100% of water. it is aluminum hull. should this b a worry for me or is a little water setting down there under floor ok? sucked it out with shop vac and filled vac twice.

completely covered with the canvas cover that came with it last nov., it kept the frozen stuff out (snow, ice) but not sure if melting stuff gets through or rain, previous owner said there has always been "some" under floor in hull cause the pump is not low enuff to reach the floor in back by motor. just curious if this is long term bad and an "issue" i need to be concerned about. it is an 84 crestliner explorer 16 ft. did see ice build up in front battery trolling motor compartment and also moisture came up through a storage hole in floor by steering console. should this be a "major" concern, i have smelled it, looked at it etc., no signs of fuel, oil, or anything else, just dirty water. sucked out 2 shop vacs worth this am. i can jack up the front of trailer to max height but still does not get it all out of the drain hole.

It's always a good idea to remove the drainplug and raise the bow so water can drain whenever the boat is being stored outside so water does not sit in the bilge and cause damage.

Also, just an FYI since you sound like a new boat owner, since about mid last year it is illegal to drive down MN roads with the drainplug in place. It must be removed until you get to the lake and removed before leaving the landing.

Boy, I've never seen anywhere near that much water as you say you have come out of a boat. Plus the fact that you stated it looks "dirty" may mean rotting floors, etc. Even puddles of water in an enclosed under hull/floor area will rot out the flooring....this is just my opinion, and I hate to say it, but I would be quite concerned about it. frown

Ok from your second response it sound like you have some junk plugging up your drainholes in the ribs of the hull. When it gets warm enough yoou may want to get a hose down there and see if you can flush anything out and vacuum out the junk that breaks lose. If it's easy to, you may want to remove a section of the floor to gain better access.

so ur saying i need to take the floor out? not in my budget or skill set....rrrrrr..What is a drain hole in rib of hull?....and yes i had what i think was insulation or something coming out with water. You guys r making it sound like I might need new flooring....not good at all....seems fine to walk on.

i should also add these 2 items: 1 - boat sits on a sloped driveway so i do not get optimum drainage i would like to see from drain plug and 2 - just b4 sucking water out yesterday i did spray clean boat floor with garden hose.

but still should there ever be any leftover water sitting back there under the back area by pump?

do i need to dry entire boat out today and take covers off (i have added a tarp)

what is best way to store outside? open? covered?

Mine stays outside covered most the time but I do use it almost daily once season starts. Take it someplace you can get the bow up and let it drain and clean out all the garbage collected under the floors. Open it up today and let it dry out will also help. If your down in the IGL's area let me know I can look at it and see if you have any problems you should be concerned about.

so ur saying i need to take the floor out? not in my budget or skill set....rrrrrr..What is a drain hole in rib of hull?....and yes i had what i think was insulation or something coming out with water. You guys r making it sound like I might need new flooring....not good at all....seems fine to walk on.

Not saying you need to replace the floor. Some floors have panels that are screwed down and are easy to remove to give you easy access to the bilge. As long as you can work a screwdriver you can do it. If you don't have access panels in the floor you wil have to get access any way possible. But it sounds like you have disintegrating insulation or mice have chewed it up and the pieces are clogging the drain holes in the ribs. The boat has support ribs that run left to right in the hull, and the only way for water to get from the bow of the boat to the stern is through a hole drilled in the bottom of each rib. Those sound like they are clogged from insulation and other junk. You will need to try and break it lose and clean whatever is clogging it.

Easiest way to do this is hook the boat/trailer up to the truck and pull the truck into the garage so the stern of the boat is at the bottom of the driveway. Open all the drain valves and use a hose and shove it into all the holes and as far under the floor as you can. It will take some time but eventually it should break up whatever is clogging you drain holes.

so the floors should be taken out to check & clean?

also, am i understanding that any water is not good?

Correct, if you can easily remove the floor that is the best option.

And also correct, it is a boat and it does sit outside so water is expected, but the drier you keep it the longer it will last.

AF, you'll never get all of the water out of it. When they say open it up I think they are talking about opening all the hatches and letting it sit like that on nice days. If it's going to rain go ahead and close it up and put the cover on. Also you really want to keep the nose higher than the rear to help with drainage. Get a block of wood maybe under the front jack to help with that, just make sure you chock the tires.

Pulling the floor shouldn't be that difficult either. I don't have first hand knowledge of your boat tho.

It's very beneficial to know how to do that in case you have electrical issues down the line and need to gain access to all of the wiring.

IMO you will never get ALL the water out of your boat. Bilge pump is always about a 1/2 inch

off the floor. Also the plug in back is at least 3/8 of an inch above the inside bottom or your boat. Take drain plug out and tip boat when not in use and what water is in the boat should drain out. Before you get worried about pulling out floors and replacing things that may not need it set the boat to drain properly, bow up, drain plug pulled.

Mike

Correct FM, so based on that any boat should have some risidual water but obviously mine has/had too much. sounds like i need to test canvas boat cover for waterproofing & find a better parking spot for drainage, THEN maybe think bout flooring. to best of my knowlege flooring is original and screws r easy to see where they are put in.

Regarding chewed up insulation & mice, yes I have found evidence of them, whats best way to get rid of em? had moth balls in boat all winter, apparently not good enuff.

Correct FM, so based on that any boat should have some risidual water but obviously mine has/had too much. sounds like i need to test canvas boat cover for waterproofing & find a better parking spot for drainage, THEN maybe think bout flooring. to best of my knowlege flooring is original and screws r easy to see where they are put in.

Regarding chewed up insulation & mice, yes I have found evidence of them, whats best way to get rid of em? had moth balls in boat all winter, apparently not good enuff.

If the flooring is solid, no bounce when you walk around, it's more than likely fine. As for the mice let me know what you figure out there. Went to put the motor on my boat and they had built a nest inside the cowl and chewed the pull rope in half. Thank goodness it was close to the handle. Re-attached the rope and it should be good to go.

Have to agree with most--bow up, and there is always a little in the bottom of the "V". The covers i have had dont really let much water in, if its tight and no spots for pooling. For mice, i remove any items that can be eaten or chewed: towels, clothes, candy wrappers, etc.. and just hope they stay out!! And if you have shop vac quantities of water, it is not so much a rib issue as the bow being too low, otherwise that much water would find its way to the back. 1-raise bow asap. 2-look into new cover. And for the price of a cover, it is way cheaper than water damage(i am stubborn myself to replace things).

When storing I usually buy 3-4 boxes of mothballs, a dozen or so cheap pie tins or those throwaway tupperware containers. And put about 1 cup of mothballs in each container and spread them throughout the boat, 1 in each hatch with the lid propped open slightly with a stick. Never had any mouse issues and I store my boat on a mouse infested farm. Takes a day in the spring with everything open and the sun shining on it to get the mothball smell out and everything is fine. And yes, remove everything that a mouse could eat, chew on, or nest in and that will help also.