• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

First Boat GPS Fish Finder

amateurfishing

I have my first boat this year and am wondering what is the most economically sound choice for a gps/fish finder. Boat came with a fish finder already but is a hummingbird lcd screen. want to check it out and see how it works on water b4 any other move but for someone on a meager budget what may be agood alternative to finding those spots on a lake? a hand held gps with lakemaster chip? or gps/fish finder combo on boat? would like to keep as simple as possible, not really looking to chart fishing spots or tons of features.

can't go wrong with either the lowrance or the hummingbird. I would steer clear of the eagle. there are some good deals for both units out there now, as I am also looking at getting one for the pontoon. I like the unit that has the GPS antenna built in. if your buying a second unit, look at networking, that way you don't have to buy another GPS antenna, saving loads of cash. also look at what the unit uses for a chip, if you have a navionics or lakemaster chip in a hand held, the newer units might not be the same, and hummingbird will not accept a lakemaster chip.

Hello,

I have a paper graph but couldn't find parts(an eagle mach 1 belt). Bought a lowrance 334c 3 years ago and works well. I suggest getting some type of map. Better prepared you are the more fun you'll have.

I think it's odd that one of the big electronics shops would hand out incorrect information.

It's possible that the rep had a LakeMaster Lowrance chip in hand, and said "This will not work in Humminbird units." which is true. And that this was interpreted as "LakeMaster chips do not work in Humminbird units." which would be entirely reasonable. Communication is a funny thing.

Wish-I-Were-Fishn, I agree with you. Not funny if there's more than about $20 at stake. People think I'm weird because I often try to repeat back to them what they just said, but in a different way. I think it's a good way to check that they actually mean what I thought they meant.

Do you ice fish? do you go fishing with others? I like my hand held with lakemasters cause I can use it ice fishing or when I go in a friends boat. you can by a cheap mount and mount it right next to the sonar for easy use....thats what I do.

I haven't used it yet but after some investigating unless you can find a good deal on something used the most economical way IMO is to go with a Garmin Nuvi with the Garmin specific lake master chip...I picked up the Nuvi 1450 from Worstbuy for $134.00 and got the 2 year replacment plan for another $20. The Garmin/Lakemaster chip was $99 plus tax....so I have about $250.00 give or take a few dollars invested. My graph works as well as I need a graph to work without breaking the bank and now I have a GPS with a chip along with my graph. The only downside of the Nuvi is they aren't waterproof so if it's raining it will go into a zip lock. I really like the 5" screen on the 1450....they do make a waterproof unit it's the Nuvi 300 I believe but you'll be looking at about $350-$400 for one of those plus the chip.

Reed's specifically told me they were brand specific, and in fact even told me to factor the new chips into the price when buying because I would have to replace my chips if I switched brands. It cost them money on a sale in the long run, but he was very honest and upfront. Plus, it was still a better price than ANYONE I had seen.