• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

With help from you guys.......

fishingguy

I may have found a good used boat. Going to look at a 05 smoker craft millentia 171sc tomorrow. It includes a 05 115hp merc optimax with only 41 hrs on it. From my understanding it is at the end of its break in period. That leads me to a question. Mercury prefers using they're oil all the time of coarse. But especially during break in. We don't have a merc dealer in our area, so was wondering if anyone could give me another brand that I could use in this motor?

FWIW, I usually try to save a buck like most. But one thing we have always done, and still do, is buy the oil that the motor/sled/whatever company makes specifically for it. I know other oil will work, and might be near the same and all, or cheaper and likely the "Same"... but with our last three Mercs (2 stroke) and we keep them at least ten years each (one is an 82 that we still use regularly) we only use Quicksilver Premium Plus. Never a motor or oil or lube issue on any of them. And honestly, while it might seem "thirsty" to 4 stroke comparisons, they don't use that much oil in a year that will make or break a person., even using the motor a lot. I guess I just keep using what has worked, that might label me as "old" wink others may have worked as well, but I am happy.

I believe Opti oil is a special DFI blend, so be careful that whatever oil you use it is the right type. If I was going to go away from Quicksilver, it would be to Amsoil.

(I had amsoil lube in a manual 5 speed tranny that cracked and drained in St. Cloud, my brother still drove it to St. Paul, empty, and I was still able to drive it to get estimates. I guess the amsoil clung good enough to keep it from freezing up. That stuff is good.)

-edit: BTW fishinguy, congrats on the new rig! You are going to have big grin first time you open her up smile

I agree with BoxMN. I always used Yamaha brand oil and during a fall fishing trip I thought I had better top off the oil and used Coop brand 2 cycle.That was the last fishing trip of the fall and next spring it worked Sat. and Sun of opening weekend but on Monday I took out the top cylinder because it did not get enough oil. $6000 to re-power the boat ! That buys a lot of oil.When you get to a store that has your brand pick up a few gallons. It will not go bad and will just get more expensive.