• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Listening to Others

Jmnhunter

can I conclude that my pup will always listen better with me commanding him? I would like him to be able to respond to anyone, I've told my fiance to keep spending time with him so he listens to her better.

your thoughts?

I hope that's not absolutely true, but, I know and am experiencing that exact same thing. I think it has everything to do with how the pup / dog ranks the person(s) giving the commmand.

My dogs both pretty much ignore my wife unless it's "go to the park" or "kennel" time (code for food). They both listen to me pretty well. I've got a 6 yr old nephew that must carry himself in a way, and interacts with them in a way that they see him as "above" them. They listen very well to him, considering they only see him a couple times a month. He pretty much ignores their attempts to play and get attention and is firm with his commands. More importantly, IMO, he gives them simple commands they understand. I'm constantly reminding my wife they don't understand full sentences and your coddling really isn't what they need (all the time). Good luck. I'll be following this thread to hear what others have experienced.

Yes its true. My dog listens to me best. I feel that he perceives me as alpha. Once in a while i dont hesitate to be very firm so as to remind him who's boss. Give him a minute or two to think about it. Then kiss and make up. That dog will love you forever. The problem with others (and wives) is they dont have the firmness that your dog is used to seeing from you.

And if you are the one spending the most time with the dog, you tend to be more on the same wavelength with each other. But that doesnt exclude others with having that same ability.

I think it has a little to do with the breed also... Chessies for instance, in my experience are very loyal, however it may only be to one or two people... My 6 month old chessie listens great to me, not great to others. I knda like it that way tho, as I am the one training him and will be the one hunting with him.

"Once in a while i dont hesitate to be very firm so as to remind him who's boss. Give him a minute or two to think about it. Then kiss and make up. That dog will love you forever. The problem with others (and wives) is they dont have the firmness that your dog is used to seeing from you."

I agree with this also, good point whitebassman!

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Most dogs will pay attention to anyone who has established themselves as their leader and uses the commands and tone they respond to.

Even if they don't have the commands down they can be taught and will respond to any leader who knows how to work with dog behavior.