• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Vet -Fran Smith?

duckbuster

LABS I know you use her all the time and she comes highly recommended from you.

Those of you that have also used her, I am interested to know how she does the hips? More specifically, does she put the dogs under to do the X-ray?

Thanks

Yes she does. I know they are only under briefly and she uses just enough to sedate them... the beauty is she was on the board of OFA and every reading she has ever given me was dead on to what came back from OFA... even the one year screening were right on...

Good Luck!

Ken

Thanks Ken for the input. I am somewhat nervous to put him under to do this. I know of 2 people, granted it was quite a few years ago, who had their dogs put under for the hips and they never came out of it.

From what people are telling me I have a real good one in my current boy and am scared to death to do this.

Where is she located in Burnsville? Also, I'm guessing she can do the EIC and the CNM swab for me?

Thanks again,

DB

Her office is about 2 miles east of 35W on Hwy 13. It's just east of Burnsville High School's football field-between the ball field and Burger King. I think technically 13 runs north/south-so, it would be toward Eagan.

Smith Vetinary clinic... right next door to American Boarding Kennels... Just off 35w on the north side of the road. I would talk to her about what she uses... it is probably much like human anesthisia in that it is safer and a different compund than that of a decade ago...

I fully trust anything and everything she says...

Good Luck!

Ken

If it makes any difference I know when I had my dogs hips done at Stillwater Vet they did not put her under. They said as long as you can calm them there is no reason to. I don't know if one way is better or worse, but if you are looking for a place what will not put your dog under for an xray that might be a place to look.

D.B.,

I'd call and have a chat with her... tell her your concerns, my guess is she would do it w/o sedation...

I know she feels she gets a better reading when the dog is sedated and not using it's muscles to 'hold' the joint in place.... But a dog tat would pass sedated would most likely pass unsedated... it's the marginal ones that it makes a difference. They have to send the films in to OFA either checked off sedated or unsedated... it does factor into the judgement of the hips...

Good Luck!

Ken

Thanks Ken. I will most likely do that. My boy won't be home for another month so I won't be doing anything until June. He is making his AA debut this weekend @ 26 months old in a 103 dog Open. Say a prayer for him because he is going to need it.