• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

First float! Minnehaha creek

I got the boat wet for the first time this year. A buddy and I put my 15' Coleman Ramx into Minnehaha creek at the Hopkins Crossroads landing and we paddled to the Louisiana Ave landing in exactly one hour. The creek is very high which mean the rapids are fast but you float above the obstacles.

I left the camera in the truck because I wasn't sure about the water conditions, but I will get some pics the next time we go. I know my friend also plans to hit Rice Creek this weekend, although I will be chasing turkeys.

It was a great day to be on the water. We saw numerous mallards, wood ducks, geese and a pair of eagles.

Sounds very fun!!

I may have to borrow my buddies canoe and make that float before it goes down too much. Sounds like a great time.

It's amazing all the wild life we have here in the metro. Our pair of mallards showed up yesterday, and I've also seen eagles glide directly over our house, and had many whitetails pass through our back yard. I've seen a fox a few times this winter as well....and I'm in central Bloomington, surrounded by houses.

Hey Powerstroke! Cody and I are putting in at Hopkins Crossroad and Minnetonka blvd. and floating to Utley park in Edina. I'll report back tomorrow on how it went ... if any one notices a Ponobscot going over the falls we didn't make it!

Well we made the trip successfully ... kneeling in the canoe under some bridges was required especially at the 100 overpass. 3 decent rapid sets and some lazy sections to sit back watch the woodies and geese. It was a good float and hopefully the water will stay high for a while

Anybody else know the flow of the creek is this week? Thinking about this weekend and starting from Grey's Dam or the the outflow too heavy right now to start there?

Were looking a decent 2, 3, 4 hour trip either by Kayak or Canoe.

I have one nut friend who thinks he going to float in an innertube. No not a fishing tub, but a cheap little float tube.

Any thoughts/ comments would be helpful

Thanks in advance.

The flow rate is very high right now; 250 cfs. I did a short stretch last year in a 16 foot canoe when the flow was 100 cfs. It was a challenging work out. Crashing into stumps, retaining walls, and shrubs at 4 miles an hour is not fun. You'll get to know your thwarts. Also a good chance of introducing your paddle shaft to the bridge of your nose. Hardly any paddling to move forward but lots of paddling to navigate the sharp bends and avoid deadheads. At 100 cfs it took us 1 hour and 50 minutes to go from Creek Side Park to Lake Nokomis (11.5 miles), including portages. I think if you spent 4 hours floating the creek now you would end up in Pool 3. Good Luck! smile Let us know how it turns out! Maybe 200 cfs is the right flow rate.

Hmmm. Maybe Rice Creek is a better option now? If you brought a rod and some crawlers along you could hook one of the submarine sized carp in George Watch lake and get a tow across. The few sets of rapids down stream from Long Lake might be fun now.

The flow of the dam is hardly the best indicator for paddling the creek. However I realize for those who don't live close its the only think you've got.

The creek seems to be higher now than when I paddled it, but that's fine. I've paddled it from 75cfs up to 250cfs and its actually easier when the water is higher.

Putting in at the dam might not be the best bet, but that means you can explore some of the other landings in Minnetonka. Use the map from the Minnehaha creek watershed district. I use the landing on the west side of Hopkins Crossroads. It took about an hour to get to Louisiana Ave. It might be another hour to get to Utley Park in Edina and another hour to Lynnhurst park at 50th and Minnehaha pkwy in S. Mpls.

Its a great mix of rapids and slow sections. If the weather was nicer I'd be going again tomorrow.