• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

English Setter dew claws

knowsnothing

I was looking to have my dog spayed and dew claws removed. One vet said that dew claws are typically not an issue with English Setters and the other said just the fronts. I will mostly be grouse hunting so I believe they should be removed, but I am just curious of your experience. This is my first setter and I would hate to do it if it is not really needed.

Thanks

Thanks guys. Todd, now that you mention it our springer had the dews removed when we got her. Caseymcg, thanks for the link. Makes it easy when sitting in the airport reviewing this on a phone. It answered one of my concerns.I was told cost ranging from $25-75 a foot so that was not too bad, but now she is 5 months old and I was wondering if she would chew at the stitches since the cone would be useless on those long setter legs.

There is a growing belief that Dew Claws should be left on the dog and not be removed. There are studies suggesting that Dew claws are functional

and also there can health issues if they are removed. All that said we do have Dew Claws removed on our puppies.

Hey Ben Berg! Gentlemen, we have a wonderful bird dog mind amongst us. As long as he keeps the laptop away from Scott we should be in good shape. Glad to to see you found us Ben.

I haven't checked this forum out for awhile. Very glad to see Ben on here.

Welcome Ben.

Knowsnothing,

When considering having your dog spayed. There is now research suggesting that dogs should not be spayed or neutered until they have reached maturity. it is the belief that it will impair there development. In regards to your dogs Dew claws it seems odd that only the rear Dew claws were removed. I would contact the breeder to see if this was intentional.

Ben Berg

... dogs should not be spayed or neutered until they have reached maturity. it is the belief that it will impair there development. ...

This caught my attention and sparked some curriosity because we have a male lab that was neutered when we got him at 8 weeks. How / What does it impair? Physical? Mental? Anything else?

I guess I was always told 6 months for Spaying. I know in the past they also charged more if the dog was much older. That's why I love this site. There is just so much conflicting information out there. She already knows what the gun looks like and she is not going to be happy watching me leave to turkey hunt next week!!

That is interesting. I am a little skeptical, though. Like I said, our male was 8 weeks old when we got him and he was already neutered. Now he is 7 years old and 85 lbs. He definitely didn't have any issues with bone development. Maybe he is an anomaly.

Yup, he was born April 28th, we got him June 26th and he was neutered when we picked him up. We got him from an animal rescue operation and they don't let any animals go with out being spayed/neutered. I would have even be alright if we would have had to sign an agreement to have it done (I think a lot of other operations do it this way for pups that are considered too young)

I honestly don't think it had any adverse effects on him. The vet has always commented on him being a healthy dog and didn't seem to be concerned about it the first time I brought him in. But like I said, maybe he is an exception and not the rule.