• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

HELP!buying a Kayak

Looks like someone wants to fish out of their moms kayak. smile

You can fish out of pretty much anything Robert, find a Kayak that your mom will enjoy to use, there are plenty of smaller rereation kayaks out there and I'm sure somebody with that type will chime in and try and help you out.

What type of water will it be used on? Big water, small ponds, moving water??

spend another bill and get a Perception Caster for both 599.00 at gandermountain, best bang for your buck for a quality yak.

perceptionyak.jpg

or get the Perception Pescador for 549.00 at Dick's or west marine...

perceptionpescadore.jpg

i've yaked in both & their fine units, she wouldn't be disappointed. remember you get what you pay for...

Robert, have your mother check out the Old Town Vapor. It was a great kayak, made by a top-of-the-line company. It was great on any of the lakes I fish(2000 acres - very small). It will also take nice leisurely floats down rivers.

It has plenty of space so you can throw the fishing stuff in it if you wanted to use it too.

i am buying a Kayak for my mom and does any one have any ideas on which one to get.

If it's her first one and your not sure she will like it. FF had a cheap "starter" for $189 on sale last week. Not sure what the non-sale price it this week. If she doesn't care for it after tipping a few times your stuck with a $5-600 dollar one.

depends what she would prefer. sit-on-top style kayaks are great for beginners because they won't sink and because they're easier to get back on if you happen to tip. sit inside types are great for recreational use, lots of cool tricks and techniques you can learn to do. you tend to to stay drier with sit in sides because you are inside the yak rather than on top and exposed to water splashes and drips from your paddle. if it were me and i were getting it for mostly recreational use, i would get the sit inside types which i just so happen to see a bunch priced in your range at Richard's. I would lean towards anything that would be lighter since it's for your mom. also, another thing to consider is long, narrow yaks are faster and track better while shorter one are more manuverable. wider ones are more stable but will be slower.

Sorry to jump in here, but it is still on subject.

I'm looking at a yak, but multi use recreation, fishing and some duck hunting. For a few years I had my eye on the camo duck hunting one from Otter, the STEALTH 2000 TWIN GUN DUCKBOAT

0624-Stealth2000.jpg

This thing weighs 120 lbs, is this going to be a wise choice or are there better multi purpose boats out there?

There are some clearance yak fishing packages at GM right now...great price too. All in one packages ready to go, life jacket, paddle, rod holder, anchor kit, and all. If one store is out ask them to see who has any yet in stock...a very good deal.