• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Rifle options

Never had a rifle, and thinking of getting one.

looking at a rem 770 and a couple savages.. what are pro's or cons.

Probably something I may never shoot, but want for that possible trip west for a mule or whitetail.. elk.. Maybe..

What caliber?? and which gun..

heres what I'm looking at.

[Note from admin: Your post has been edited. Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you

I like Savage, especially ones with the accutrigger. they aren't the prettiest but they have great barrels and that accutrigger is outstanding.....

caliber? 30-06, 308, 300mag are all great choices along with 7mm mag

I have not read a lot of good things about the Remington 770's, never picked one up, but they have had issues.....

I would go with the savage as picks stated before the remington but if you look hard you can get a weatherby vanguard in 30-06,270 or 257WM for a real decent price and you will not be disapointed in it. I have one in 30-06 and its about the nicest bolt action I have ever shot.

The .308 is also a great round as well

My preference is something light for my 56YO and out-of-shape physique when heading upwards of 6000ft elevation. Weight may be a factor for you as well.

A good marksman will never require much over a 270Win for elk if you are patient, understand animal anatomy well and can execute solid shots. That said, it is pretty hard to argue the merits of a plain-Jane 30/06. Not real new wave, but it will put the hurt on any elk that is well hit to in excess of 300yds and there are tons of good bullet loadings available most anywhere.

For something in the lower price range, take a look at the Savage Axis - bare rifle weighs 6.5#. And this year in the higher price range they are introducing a new model called the Model 11 Lightweight Hunter. This is a very good looking lightweight rifle that weighs in at 5.5# for the bare rifle.

Also like Tikka.

You simply can not go wrong with Savage, period. Look around and see what brands have been having problems with and you are going to find it isn't Savage. That said, the caliber is always the final question to be answered. From what you mentioned my opinion would be to stick with the proven cals, .30-06, .270, .308, 7mm-08 as they will fit your bill in your neck of the woods and elk as well and are fairly economical ammo wise. As a 1st time rifle buyer I would recommend staying away from any belted (magnum) cartridge because of ammo costs, recoil and scale of ballistic gain. There is no such thing as whitetail/muledeer gun. Bullet selection falls into play here, sometime. I'd also recommend going to Chuck Hawks web and read, read, read about caliber chacteristics. Find a model that fits your physique. Another option would be to buy a couple boxes of ammo and try out a few buddies guns. Other things that have to be considered is the "tricking out" options. What kind of glass, rings, mounts, slings, case, cleaning equipment, etc. Last but not least, don't rush in to it.

the do all caliber for any first timer is a .30-06 it will do whatever you want. some call her overkill but I just can't leave her home for whitetails. i will say this. the remington 770 feels like a piece of [PoorWordUsage]. i think this was remingtons bid to get into the cheap bolt action market. those savages with the accutriggers are nice. i have personally owned a .300WSM tikka t-3. i loved the gun just not the caliber. really wish i would have gotten the .30-06 but already had a rifle in that caliber. i traded that rifle on a ruger m-77 hawkeye .25-06 i love this rifle so far. dad used in the wisconsin rifle season and she punched a pretty nice hole. dad had always used a .30-06, but he let the grandkid use her and i loaned him the.25-06 he liked all about her especially the design minus the weight. the tikka is really light. but man did that .300WSM kick on that rifle. i hope to own a tikka again soon for some other kind of hunting or shooting.

I am surprised that no one has mentioed the 280 or 260. Then again I like odd ball calibers. Like every stated a 270, 06, 308 will be great guns from deer to elk. As far as brands I have savage, tika, browning, remington, and ruger. Each one has its ups and downs. I love my savage this gun has been through it all and is accurate.It dosent look good but thats why afte owning it for 12 years I have it in getting air brushed at KEELERS. My best rifle for accuracy and looks is the T3 and wont give that up for the world. I would really recommend that you get out and get some hands on experiance. As far as the 770 just walk away, ask the guys behind most gun counters and hey will try and steer you away from this lemon. Good luck in your new gun purchase.