• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2011 Paddler GTG

About what I expected. wink

I also shuttered at the 8:00am start time (I'm a night person), but with the forecasted temps it sounds like a good plan.

Anybody else?

Ted and Tom....

Do you two want to bump it up even earlier, 7:00am? Just throwing it out there.

I'm game for whatever you guys want. I too saw the forecast (90's and high humidity). I'm the exact opposite of a night person. If everyone else is comfortable with meeting at 7, than count me in for that as well.

I won't know for sure before Fri boys .... but it looks good.

So ... I drove over and circled Calhoun tonight.

I trailer my canoe and wanted to scout launching and parking.

South end, at the beach looked like the spot for my rig.

Chatted with the old man at the boat launch / rental joint.

Per him ... A devoted muskie sharpie got a 50 incher today.

I'll be sitting in the middle of a 16' Grummann using a rowing system.

Probably throwing up a rooster tail, maybe towing a skier wink

Oh ... and my canoe has speakers. grin

PW

Excellent! So you'll have the boat full of bikinis, right?

I'll be heading up to the northern suburbs to pick up my canoe (don't want it on my truck overnight in Minneapolis) so 7am is a little early for me. But if you guys want to start it off earlier, I'm sure I'll find you. Like I said, I'll be the yayhoo in the camo canoe.

If you all want to email me your cell phone numbers, I'm happy to distribute them to the others in the group. If not, that's okay too.

Well, the storms jacked up a few of the people that were supposed to be there, so it ended up with just Duffman and myself. Fishing was fair, with a few bass, a northern and a tiger musky being caught.

Fishing was actually pretty poor, we started just after the storms dumped all that rain. I've never seen the city lakes at that high of a water level before. You could see all the stuff floating on top of the water that washed in with the runoff. I'm somewhat convinced that all the runoff contains quite a bit of street and yard pollutants, and that might upset the lakes chemical balance for a while, thus putting the fish bite into a little funk. At least that's what I'm going with. wink

Ted got to experience the city lakes and some of the silly things that go on. Dodging kids jumping off bridges. And it's fun watching canoers ram shore and not on purpose. smile He also got to see some of the top-notch scenery that the lakes can offer. wink And he accomplished crossing off the tiger muskie on his lifetime fish species list, congrats Ted! I had a pure strain muskie take a swipe at my crankbait boatside on Calhoun...36"?

The clouds hung around for a while, or else I think we would've bailed out of there earlier with the poor fishing. But, we didn't get skunked and I'm pretty sure we both had a good time. I'll post Teds mini-tiger pic tonight. We'll have to do it again sometime and hopefully get a bigger group involved.

I miss the fishing & scenery on the Minneapolis chain, it's been years since I dumped the canoe in those lakes. Haven't been following FM too closely, but I'll watch to see if there's another (cooler) gathering this summer!