• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2011 Paddler GTG

This was brought up in another thread, but I thought maybe that since open water is getting closer, we could start getting a feel for how many people might be interested in getting together for some paddling and fishing.

This would probably be something we would want to do after memorial day, so that we have nicer weather and more people would likely be available.

Any interest in it? If you have suggestions for dates/lakes that we could go to, please chime in!

We had already kind of discussed this in another thread. I'm sure there will be at least a day or two where some of us get together. And now that you've joined the paddling community, you're going to have to show up as well!

If I'm in town, I'd be down. I'd probably bring one of my neighbors--we have a loose appointment to fish together this summer.

I'd vote for one of the city lakes, probably Calhoun/ Isles since they're connected. Plus, there's potential for some exciting fish...

Is there still any interest in this? If so, I'd like to hear some date recommendations. My schedule is open, and I'm willing to travel a little bit. Harriet/Calhoun? Any suggestions on date/location welcome. I'm in full fledged yakin' mode now, so lets get this setup!

Hi Ted,

How about July 16-17 or 23-24? Either day is fine by me, but Saturday is probably better for most people.

I'd vote for Calhoun and Isles if people want to paddle on a city lake. I don't think that Harriet connects to Calhoun, otherwise I'd include that one as well. There's plenty of water, and some interesting features (bridges, one island, an open-air restaurant if you just can't wait) around these two lakes. Plus, no launch or parking fees.

Otherwise, I'm game for other locations as well.

I had eyed the 16-17th weekend as well. I don't know much about the lake, but having a big group of people fishing in canoes/yaks/toons would be a neat deal. Hopefully there is more interest in this.

Yeah, I think it would be a pretty good time. There are sailboarders and sailboaters out on Calhoun pretty frequently also, which I think is pretty neat to see.

Check out the lakes on the MN DNR Lakefinder and post up any thoughts you might have.

You guys should just pick a date, I'll make it if I'm in town on the day you choose. Getting people to fully commit to these deals can be hard at times. If you can get a half dozen watercraft to show, that in itself would be impressive. I'm guessing only 3-4 folks will actually make it, but that's just fine.

I agree, Saturday would be best. Morning/Day? Day/Evening?

I've fished the Calhoun-Brownie chain a couple times this month, caught a small tiger muskie (4-6 lbs) both times out, some bass, and a decent pike in the 5 lb range. They aren't exactly jumping in the canoe, but enough to keep it fun. Plus, on the city lakes there are always other things going on that are interesting to keep ya entertained. The dinosaur in my avatar is hanging out in Brownie right now.

A ton of non-motorized water to explore and fish, Cedar and Calhoun are simular in water clarity and structure makeup, Isles is greener and starting to slime up, Brownie is a dirty deep bowl. Right now the cottonwood is terrible, but that shouldn't be much of a problem in July.

I have a put-in place on the chain that's works pretty well, It would be a good place to meet up at.

Well? Who's interested?

Respond and put down an honest percentage in the chance you'll actually make it.

The 16th at 8am in the Calhoun chain sounds good. (Early, but good. grin ) People that are interested, but don't have something to paddle can look into rental either through the City of Minneapolis (This is just a wild-poorwordusage-guess on my part.) or call the Tin Fish (It's a food joint on Calhoun, I think I remember seeing signs about rental there.) and ask them.

I'm happy to email my cell phone number to anyone who wants to come out later and meet up, but I will make fun of you for being late.

For sure! Electric motors are okay, but gas ones are verboten.

You can have a gas motor on the boat, but it cannot be used at all. Occasionally, there are some big rigs trolling through after muskies using their electrics, with the main motor tilted all the way up.