• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Walleye fishing, in BWCA, in a canoe, in May

I'm going to the Boundary Waters around May 20th this year. Going in on Saganaga and canoeing West along the Canadian border. I've fished walleye plenty of times before, but almost always have a fish finder, a boat with a motor, tested spots, and other people who are usually much more seasoned fisherman than myself, so finding locations to get the eyes has never been a problem. I'll be the most experienced fisherman on this trip and have never fished in that area. I'm wondering what to look for to find good walleye structure without the help of a fish finder.

Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks!

that early in the year you might want to find stream mouths somewhere where the water will be a little warmer. or structure close too those spots, moving water seemed always to be what we looked for in BWCA and that area when targeting walleyes early in the year. hope this helps.

A friend I grew up with always went up there for fishing opener. He said that you had to find the stained water in the bays. Find stained water and you'll find the walleyes was his theory. If I remember right they would fish pretty shallow, but never shallow enough to see bottom. I personally have never been up there, so take it for what it's worth. I've always wanted to, and still plan on getting up there someday. Good luck and keep it simple...slip bobber or jig with leeches or minnows will probably be your best bet. It all depends on the water temp.

Shallow shallow shallow. Cast crankbaits off the rocks on shore, give em a few cranks and BAM! And I literally mean bounce the bait off the rocks. We've done this on the deeper lakes as well as the shallow swampy lakes both. When you find them you can catch one nearly every cast it can be completely crazy.

Shallow rocks or moving water should be the ticket. You are allowed to bring live bait up there, and if you're careful, the leeches will stay alive for the entire trip. I'd recommend not bringing crawlers or minnows b/c they're harder to keep alive, but people do it.

Wind-blown shorelines is best, but then you're dealing with wind in a canoe. I'd bring a gunny sack, fill it with rocks, tie a rope to it, and then anchor off windy points, shorelines, or reefs. Cast crankbaits til you find them, and then bobber fish some leeches. That should work. smile

Leeches are pretty easy to carry in and keep alive that time of year. I've tried cranks, jigs, ect ect - seems like a slip bobber and a leech is about the most deadly that time of year

As for structure - tough to find anything out in the middle with no depthfinder - but sometimes there are reefs that are sticking up just above the waters surface - fish around them. Try off of points - and try right out from camp!

Bring your vex if you have one!

I'm going to the Boundary Waters around May 20th this year. Going in on Saganaga and canoeing West along the Canadian border. I've fished walleye plenty of times before, but almost always have a fish finder, a boat with a motor, tested spots, and other people who are usually much more seasoned fisherman than myself, so finding locations to get the eyes has never been a problem. I'll be the most experienced fisherman on this trip and have never fished in that area. I'm wondering what to look for to find good walleye structure without the help of a fish finder.

Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks!

First of all, what is preventing you from taking your fish finder along? I would rather go fishing with no pants on than leave my Vex behind! shocked A Vex and a dry cell battery don't take up that much room and they will make your search so much easier. Catching walleye's on Saganaga at that time of year is like taking candy from a baby. They are going to be in shallow water. Especially after it get's dark. Using a slip bobber and a leech for bait is definitely the way to go. You also could try using a bottom bouncer rig with a slip clevis on the line. This method calls for a more experienced fisherman because most everywhere you fish will be pretty rocky. You will be going right by my all-time favorite honey-hole. Even if I told you exactly where it was, you would never be able to find it. That is, unless you had a Vex with you. Your only other solution would be to take me along!(hint, hint!) I wanna go! Me! Me! :D1DIRTBALL wink

yep a depth finder is always along fishing in the BWCA and quetico!! yes it a bugger to caryy across portages, but finding reefs and humps in bays, and middle of the lake is key, the windy side is always the best or the brake line!