• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

any tips. help

catchnothing,

I think everyone that shoots a bow has gone through some sort of target panic or lock up at some point and if they haven't yet,they will. What worked for me and a few others I know was to lower the draw weight a bit, get close to your target,concentrate on a small spot, draw back and get your finger on the trigger, hold it on the target as long as you comfortably can, take your finger off the trigger and let down. Do this as long as you can then put your bow away. When you have no intention of shooting it seems that you can do whatever you want with the pin.

It's all psycological but it can be beat.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Rob

It's an issue I've fought my entire life. Try a back-tension release, just getting away from the trigger is a big help.

Another thing that hepls me, like Rob said, get close, hold your pin on the target with your finger behind the trigger, then close your eyes and concentrate fully on a good release. Do this over and over again as often as possible.

Good luck.

Wecome to target panic. Most of us have gone through it at some point. I'm actually battling through a similar 6 o'clock bout right now. Some great advice has already been posted. The backtension method can really help but it requires time. It's a process - not an overnight fix. Back off the poundage, move up, and really focus on holding without squeezing the trigger. Try focusing on the target instead of the pin. Sometimes shooting with both eyes open helps as well. There's a lot of good info out there to keep you reading for days.

one thing that really helped me clean up my shots is how I breath when I draw and release. I used to take deep breaths, hold my breath before I shot and then factor in some adrenalin and I was all over the place. I read in a magazine on tactics snipers have before they shoot and another article on how to correct wobbly pins really helped. Here it is in a nut shell what I learn and what helped me.

relax as much as you can and try not to let your mind wander. All you need to focus on is your mechanics. When you draw back get your pin in the general area you want to shoot, say the size of a garage can lid (pretty big area I know). Once it is there start breathing slowly. Take a normal breath in and slowly let it out. When you are exhaling, exhale a second or two longer than you normally would. Keep breathing slowly, and relax. You may need to take in a few breaths to get comfortable. While you are doing this, your sight is going to be bobbing around in that area(garbage can lid area) just stay focused on it. As you are getting ready to shoot pull back or put more tension on your release, this will tighten up your draw. Also, you should be slowly exhaling at this point. Then focus on making the pin stop where you want it. When the pin settles in where you want it squeeze the trigger and keep that form till the arrow hits home (as in keep your arm straight and the arm that has the release back). Practice all of this till it becomes one fluid motion.

It sounds like this has become a mental block for you as other have said. I know this will sound cheesy as heck but, clear your mind and focus on just your mechanics and form. The rest will take care of itself.

Good luck.

Another thing that hepls me, like Rob said, get close, hold your pin on the target with your finger behind the trigger, then close your eyes and concentrate fully on a good release. Do this over and over again as often as possible.

This helps me every year after leagues........

Blind bale shoot, every day

I have even went as far to adjust my sight so that when I hold low on the x I hit the x with my arrow. Works great until you actually get the pin in the x and then everything is bad! Good luck with your target panic. I am right there with you!

Stick- I actually did that last year...not this year tho but I think it hurt me for this year because it is hard to get it all the way up in there without squeezing the shot off

Lowering the draw weight will also help you will not fatigue as fast and try to rush your shot before the shakes start in, it will not matter if your only shooting 50# during the off season it's in the form or foundation of your shooting once you build that you only can improve then turn the weight up and practice before hunting once you get the basics back.

Are you talking sight picture, where do the majority of your misses shoot? I've been playing a lot with tiller tuning this year and by adjusting the limb bolts can get the bow to hold sight picture for aiming better. By playing with it you can get the bow to hold steadier at full draw. If I have it set too much tiller the bow will hold/miss high, too low the bow will hold/miss low. I usually start my sighting by pulling high and then lowering myself into the sight picture.

I was at the Pro-Am in Slayton a couple weeks ago. I was of course on the Am side of the shoot. I did notice that all the guys on the pro side drew and then came down from the top on the target face. When I tried it I would shoot high when I missed the x. I wonder is this something a guy should just switch over to or what do you all think?

RBS--- I think its almost a preferance thing. But I dont shoot comps or 3d or anything so maybe i dont know...

I found that focusing in on the sight ring first and getting that "centered" on your target and then once your steady there switch your eye focus to the pins and it should only be a tiny movement to put the pin in the intended target.

I also lowered my poundage from 70 to 60 and that helped alot, especially at longer distances.

i guess i never really notice but last weekend i sighted in my bow and was doing something very similar to that have a problem bringing it up, something i will have to work on this off season, might drop my bow weight for awhile now.