• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rangefinder for bowhunting?

1eyeReD

Hello all,

I have been eyeballing the Bushnell Scout 1000 ARC Rangefinder with Binoculars Combo at Cabelas, but am a bit reluctant to spend $300 at a time when I'm trying to buy other gear (Lone Wolf Assault II Hang on Stand, Lone Wolf Climbing Sticks and Primos Ground Max "The Eclipse" Hunting Blind). I've got some cheap binos that I can work with, but am in need of a good rangefinder that won't cost me another limb.

Specs I would prefer:

None in particular. Just need it to accurately range deer & objects from 15 to 20 ft up in a tree. Any brand would do..

How much am I willing to spend?:

I'm hoping less than $300.. Anything for around $150 that you guys use and are happy with?

Please help a hunter out.

Big thanks to you all and HSO.

1ER

I have the bushnell arc 1000 and I like it a lot. Great ranging when I rifle hunt out west and compact for bowhunting. In my experience the arc is not necessary as most yardage changes are 1-2 yards in the 20-35 yard range. At my bow speed the difference is negligible. If you can save money without the arc I would say that money would be put to better use somewhere else.

I agree with HNTBUX, don't worry about the ARC unless you are hunting some very steep terrain. I'm not ever sure which range finder I have for sure but it is a cheaper Bushnell and it has worked great for a long long time.

I spent the money on the Archers Choice Range finder. I thought since I hunt some river bottoms and with the angle I should get the ARC model. Sadly if you want to grab that range finder and go rifle hunting I think it maxes out around 200 yards. I feel very comfortable in shooting 200-300 yards with a RIFLE but sadly I need a different Range finder. Do I regret buying the range finder not exactly since in most situations I'm happy with it but I bought it strictly for Archery. Should I have investigated more and looked at maybe a different model that I could have range at 300-500 yards Probably. Now playing mind games with myself to me I like the small profile of my Archers Choice because I can fit it into one hand and very easy to measure but we have a very expensive one for further distances for work but a person needs to use both hands for that model to stabilize it. I like the size and clarity of my smaller one and I will probably buy another range finder for Rifle hunting but that is just me, I would rather make sure when I'm hunting some very steep terrains in the river bottoms that when I draw back I hit my target compared to is the deer at 250 yards or 300 yards. I'm probably getting off topic but pick one that will cover ALL of your situations.

does anyone have the Halo from wild game innovations? From the reviews on the Cabelas HSOforum it seem like a good range finder for bow hunters because its cheap, way cheap only hundred frog skins...... and will range up to 400yds. Im assuming thats a reflective object but if it can hit a deer or tree at 40yds thats all i need while bow hunting.

Thanks fellas. I'm thinking of picking up one of those cheaper Bushnells now. Been researching them. Another question... Should I worry about performance of ranging in low light conditions? Do different makes x models have more of an advantage over others? Any notable brands or models?

Nikon Prostaff 550, it does not have the ARC, but unless you shoot from extreme mountain ranges or atleast 25'+ in a tree it is not needed.

$200 range finder and it's clear and works dawn to dusk during shooting light.

No need to range deer before or after shooting light anyways.

My .02.

My wife is getting her own this year, I want mine back.

Well, I went out to Cabelas. Tried out a few w/ARC and a few without at normal archery distances on the taxidermied goats on the highest peaks. No difference up to 35 or 40 yds. Maybe a yard or two off..

Here's what I bought:

mkjcds.jpg

Bushnell® Yardage Pro Laser Sport 850 Rangefinder

About $180 without tax. Came home and was so excited I stood outside and ranged the h*ll out of everything around my yard. Neighbors probably got suspicious... Or worried.

Thanks for all your input. I'm very satisfied. And you guys definitely helped me in making my decision. I hope I feel the same about it after using it in the field. Can't wait!

1ER

Yeah, I think It's gonna be rare that I'll get to actually range the animal before I shoot, but it'll be nice to range natural markers like stumps, trails, trees and whatnot so when they walk by your lane you have an idea of the distance.

There have been situations where I held back on shots in field situations because I wasn't sure if the deer was 30 yds or 35 or 40.. 20 or less, I feel confident eyeballing but beyond that gets tricky.

klecker, I had that exact same unit about seven years ago. It worked well for me. I only used it for whitetail hunting, so I would range markers when I got set up and put it away.

I still have one of the larger Bushnell Yardage Pro 500s. When I was stand hunting it worked out fine. I would range out my shooting lanes and set it on top of my backpack that always hangs next to me. I could have tied it into an elastic type binocular harness to hold it to my chest though.

Never had a problem until I started hunting out west. That's when I decided I needed grin a newer greater version and bought the Leupold with ARC. I really like it a lot but know it's out of the price range discussed.

And I agree, there are few times the ARC will really matter in Mid-Western stand hunting situations. But I have been in some of those rare situations so I'm glad I have it.

I think you'll really enjoy your choice 1ER. smile