• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dog ate chicken wings, and feral cat problem

jparrucci

I have a neighbor who has been feeding feral cats raw chicken to feral cats. My dog snuck over there and got some of the raw chicken. Not sure how much he ate before I spotten him. This has been an ongoing problem and the neighbor isn't going to stop feeding. The cats [PoorWordUsage] in yard too, which my dog in turn eats. First things first, do I have to worry about him not being able to pass chicken bones? Knowing my dog, he ate big pieces whole. I cannot get him to drink hydrogen peroxide to puke them up.

Second, what should I do about the cats? I already have bought a live trap, and they will not go in it.

Raw chicken, including bones, won't be a serious problem for most dogs.

Diarehha at the worst.

Cooked chicken bones can be a serious danger.

You'll never get a dog to drink hydrogen peroxide.

You have to inject it with a turkey baster, or simular.

Hope your dog is OK.

I thought I had stupid neighbors. Might want to check with the local CO first to see if there is any legal way to take care of the situation. If not either your own lead poisoning (17 cal or 20 g.) or let the dog roam around and take care of the cats, I know my dog would salivate at a chance for some cat. Chicken generally doesnt affect my dog much, I dont feed it to him though.

both of my shorthairs have stolen many raw pieces of chicken out of sink as they thaw, or off the counter. the little devils know exactly when to make their move and all I can do is laugh at them sometimes. Drives me nuts how they are able to get away with it and I never learn lol. They have never had any issues or gotten sick either.

We moved from the city to the country earlier this year and have had several run in with cats. Its a fine line and I am not sure what to do about it. I keep my dogs in my yard at all times, buts its rather larg and I didnt move out here to keep my dogs on a leash.

I have confronted the neighbor but he basically says dogs chase cats and it all part of the what they do and he is not bothered by it. My dogs have tons of prey drive and those cats have had some pretty close calls its only a matter of time before one gets brought back to my feet.

I go out of my way to make sure they stay in our yard, but have come to the conclusion that anything is fair game in my own yard.

I had a dog that no matter how much you yelled at her she would still get in the garbage at our leftover chicken bones. The runs were common in our yard but she had a good long life.

I have always hated cats, but the ones in your case are just asking for it. Mabye a BB gun pumped once? If that doesn't work start pumping it up a little more.

I wouldn't even blink an eye at a few chicken bones...but that's just me. I wouldn't intentionally feed them to my dog, but if he gets into some chicken bones the odds of them hurting him are pretty slim.

My folks went through life always feeding their dogs chicken bones. My childhood lab was fed chicken bones at least once a week for his entire life and never had an issue. Newer studies have shown it not to be a good idea but I would certainly not panic if your dog ate some by mistake. You would know very quickly if there was going to be a problem.

My lab found a delicious shiner minnow lying on the console of my boat. He gobbled it down when I wasn't looking not realizing there was a large hook still attached to the minnow (hook and 6' leader of 15 lb test). I brought him to the E.R. vet and they discovered via x-ray the hook lodged in his gut. Long story short, I opted not to give the dog emergency surgery and fast forward 6 months the dog is chipper as can be. Never did see the hook pass so it either dissolved or passed without me seeing it in his stool.

Dogs are tougher than we give them credit for. I'm sure yours will be just fine.

I typically stay away from the chicken bones, they splinter to easy, However, if its a bigger dog I wouldn't worry about it. if it was a mass amount of bones and your dog chomped them down I might be a bit worried.

teach your dog to eat a cat instead smile two problems solved!

If I didn't live in town, the cat would be long dead. Shooting isnt an option unless a shoot out a window, and the cat is nocturnal, so shooting becomes even more difficult at night.

Took the dog to the vet as a precation anyways. They x-rayed him, everything appeared to have passed ok. However, while doing the xray, they spotted 2 bladder stones, so it looks like I will be going back to the vet after they get the urine sample back. Great. They also noticed what looked like arthritis above his rear pelvic sockets, which she said was very abnormal, but it was on both legs and if he doesn't seem to be bothered by it not to worry.

Try putting some bait in the trap (tuna,soft cat food or chicken) You will start catching them I've caught lots. Since you live in the city killing them quietly is necessary, a garbage can full of water works good, just drop cage and all in can.

Diesel Dan

My dog ate 36 raw chicken wings off the counter while they were thawing out. Even stashed some around the house like a squirrel after he'd had his fill. Passed them all no problem. As for the cats, I'd just let your dogs take care of them. Great way for them to get some serious exercise without you having to go for a jog.

how is killing a cat in water any worse then most likely wounding it with a pellet gun.

come on most of us here hunt and I wont for a second say winging a pheasant, having it run down by a dog, and then snapping its neck is human at all. so get off your soap boxes when it comes to silently getting rid of a awful menace.

Link to a guy in trouble for drowning cats

Its "animal cruelty". I dont get why killing feral animals is as important to some people as killing people. Thanks PETA and political correctness.

wow that artical is just sad. what has changed in the last 20 years that has made everyone so sensitive. 20 years ago they would have written a artical about a great landlord that got rid of a meance to his tenats. prob would of had pictures too.

how is killing a cat in water any worse then most likely wounding it with a pellet gun.

come on most of us here hunt and I wont for a second say winging a pheasant, having it run down by a dog, and then snapping its neck is human at all. so get off your soap boxes when it comes to silently getting rid of a awful menace.

Go pick up a new pellet gun. you'd be surprised what they do.

Some tuna in a live trap, short drive to the country, .22 shot in the back of the head in the ditch, repeat.

As for getting a dog to drink the hydrogen peroxide, keep a syringe around. Fill and inject in throat - much easier to force the dog to drink it. Could mean life or death someday. As for cats, I choose death.