• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dial-up App?

LMITOUT

I want to connect my Andoid phone to a laptop (via USB) and then communicate to a device that has a modem (30 miles away) by dialing it's phone number. In other words, I need my phone to act as a modem to talk to another modem in old-school fashion. This is not the typical "tethering" as I am going point to point and not using the phone to connect to the internet.

Anybody seen or heard something like this before? I've been searching but haven't had much luck, although it's a messy search because most of the results have to do with tethering for internet access. I did find where someone else was asking for the same thing a couple years ago so I know I'm not the only one!

If there is a Blackberry app I would take that as well.

Thanks.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I need this app for troubleshooting purposes. At the site that I need to connect to there is only one phone line, but the device I am talking to uses it.

I would like to be able to use my phone as a modem and then call the device to verify it's modem is functioning correctly while sitting right at the site. Otherwise, I would have to drive back 30 miles and dial in using my PC as usual to see if the modem at the site is working. If it isn't that means more windshield time back to the site to figure out why the modem isn't working. Lather, rinse, repeat...

There are virtual modems but I'm not sure that will work in this application.

The site does have internet access (hence the virtual modem idea), but I think I'm going to look into just converting the device over to an IP connection and ditch these ancient modems.....if the device will accept IP that is.

You also need to get your android to act as a modem. That would be the first thing to try. If you can do that you may be able to just find an app that would connect to the device on the other end. I assume you use something like hyperterm or a telnet app?

That's what I'm looking for....an app that emulates a modem using my phone.

What I was envisioning is that the app would emulate a modem which in turn give my PC the same impression. To the PC my phone would looke like one of those old 3COM 56k modems, for example.

I use a device specific software that has a dialing process where you set your PC modem, baud rate, etc, etc.

I don't think there is such a thing so it might be best just to move onto another solution.

OK you are talking about them dialing your cell phone and it answering and translating to your laptop much like the internal modem on a fax machine would to itself?

So basically you are looking for an ATA style app that allows data to come in via the phone line and not the data service? Are looking to wake the PC with an incoming fax? Are looking to just receive or send and receive?

OK, I got a moment to Google around.

These are in-house (phone) apps that might help or lead you on the right path:

metrofax

scanR

RingCentral

Boxee

FilesAnywhere

Mobile Fax Free

Check into Norstar

You can always look into the option of using e-fax to receive and a fax app or maybe the Droid has faxing? Another option is a mixture of Faxzero, K7 Unified messaging,

Google: Fax App?????, Android, androidcentral and you can see someone shares your hopes and this might help with searching. wink

OK as always in another language, but found this:

"> " type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

I believe he is running the internet via phone off of the other cells data plan?

NitDroid

It seems MoIP is a feasible option also. Trying to stay away from VoIP but thinking more of Fax over IP. It is out their. wink

OK you are talking about them dialing your cell phone and it answering and translating to your laptop much like the internal modem on a fax machine would to itself?

So basically you are looking for an ATA style app that allows data to come in via the phone line and not the data service? Are looking to wake the PC with an incoming fax? Are looking to just receive or send and receive?

None of the above.

LOL I re-read and you want to run your phone as a modem to query diagnostics sent from your PC to a remote analog modem. A CSD (circuit switched data) with a dash of ATA (analog telephone adapter) bridge style app to be used to go from data string/thread/packets via USB to GSM then to analog? Why didn't you just say that?

I will do some digging but "unlock" would be my guess as a first step.

What I'm "talking" to with the modem isn't of any importance in the grand scheme of things.

As long as my laptop thinks that it's USB port is connected to a modem device then everything will be good, and then I can dial up modems near and far just for kicks if I want. smile

Try Bluez & Zeemote

Bluez:

This application installs a new IME (soft-keyboard) that can read data from a Bluetooth input device. Currently the Zeemote JS1 is the only supported input device.

Should work with USB also. Worth a shot and I believe it is free. wink

I would really check into Netshare for Android as this app when it was with iPhone had this capability.