• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tennis elbow (right arm) in a right-hander

jdime

Well, I signed up for bowhunter education on the 26th of this month.

I've had tennis elbow in my right arm an-an-off for four years now. In the past I've seen physical therapists and I even had a cortisone shot at one point.

Now it's coming back again. I am as strong as I have ever been in my life, but the right arm hurts and gives out sometimes.

Should I attempt to shoot left-handed? I can get my hands on an affordable LH compound bow...

I've also developed tendonitis in my left elbow...mine is the golfers elbow version...(if it's on the inside of the elbow-golfers elbow...on the outside-tennis elbow)...I shoot right handed and while I was able to shoot my bow two or three shots on targets last year before my elbow started giving out, I wasn't confident that I would be able to get it back after sitting for long periods of time...I even tried lower poundage and the results were the same...I don't think you'll find any relief by switching to a LH bow...the pain & weakness are just as noticeable on the arm you're holding the bow with as the one you're drawing it with...last year was the first season in 40 years that I haven't bow hunted...from what most of the dr's I've talked to say, you can do therapy, take shots or even have surgery...but there is not any guarantee that it won't come back...especially when you start getting a bit older as I am...I'm thinking it's time for me to hang up the archery equipment...but, we'll see how it is come next fall.

You guys are starting to worry me. I've had some bouts with tennis elbow the last few years but it hasn't impacted me while shooting.....yet.

It usually only bothers me during hockey season.

I'm hoping I don't need to use a crossbow for a while.

Is that tennis elbow from shooting pucks or doing 12 oz. curls after the game? grin

Have any of you tried that compression band that you can put over the tendon? I've seen them used by people when they play tennis. They're supposed to give some relief.

+1 on the cortisone shot if that doesn't work.

Careful with the cortisone shot. Yes it takes the pain away because it gets rid of the inflammation. However, the injury still remains and if you start using it again you will cause further injury that lead to more problems. Just an FYI about it.

Tennis elbow is not fun to have but is treatable but like many overuse injuries it takes a fair amount of time to heal. The compression strap is your friend. Wear it each day, all day and then take it off at night while you sleep. Ice the area frequently or prior to bed each night for 15-20 minutes or untill the area is numb to the touch. Take ibuprofen as directed to assist in reducing inflammation. Massage the muscle fibers of the affected arm 2-3 times daily to decrease excess muscle tension which in turn eliminates excess stress on the tendon. Try to avoid wrist extension or movements that bring on the pain as much as possible. Following a consistent routine you should see relief in 2-4 weeks if the pain persists then a cortisone shot can give you lasting relief but the drawbacks is cortisone can damage the tendon, the muscles if weak, are succeptable to reinjury so a course of strengthening exs should be taken to prevent the problem from reocurring. If it is a repetitive use injury from work then wear the strap when at work even when asymptomatic.

Tunrevir~

No doubt I can't hardly squeeze toothpaste out of the container, not even sure what brought the pain on but comes and goes and my right arm varies from feeling like 85% strength to 15% etc. Ick. Might be a few less Musky runs this summer, the thought of pulling in those huge baits etc. makes me cringe.

i have te in my left elbow. i throw 50 lb cotton seed bags all day and the same movement is killing it. i have been using the compresson band and it does help. i had cortisone in my knee twice, the third time the doc said this was the last one as they should not do more than three shots as it is hard on the bone too. can you do the doorway band exersises? that too help some.

The thing about cortisone shots is that they can only give so many in a time period. When I was having shoulder problems I got one and it lasted for a year. Started having problems again went in had another one and it only lasted 3 months, had another and was told that if it doesn't last anylonger I was going to have to have the surgery. They can only give you 3 in a 6-7 month tiem period, long story shortened I ended having to have the surgery, no matter how much I hated to say it... It was the best thing I ever did.

So this guys jogging down the road and sees a tennis ball lying in the gutter. He picks it up and puts it in his pocket and keeps on jogging. Then this woman jogs up beside him and they talk as they jog together down the road. As they continue she notices a large lump in his shorts. After a few more looks she can't help but ask "what's that large lump in the front of your shorts?" He says "Oh... that's tennis ball" She replies back " That must really hurt, I had tennis elbow once"