• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

SB 2235 went down to defeat today....25-21

It would have allowed NR a choice of hunting waterfowl on 3 four day periods OR 2 seven day periods.The difference is that 3 fours would have allowed 3 weekends whereas 2 sevens does not.Since over half of the NR who hunt here come from Minn,it would have increased hunting pressure on weekends.Especially since weekends are when most residents hunt.

I wish they would bring back the bill for upland game which got defeated last year where you could have three, five-day hunting periods instead of the two, seven-day periods that you get now.

I doubt that will happen because NR can buy as many licenses as they want now.So the arguement 2 years ago was...."you can come 3 times now....just buy another license."

I think the anti nonresident comes from some of the outfitters that come here. i think alot of the residents fear that outfitters are buying up land and the residents don't want to compete with that. I'm not saying its right thats just some of the arguments I hear.

I doubt that will happen because NR can buy as many licenses as they want now.So the arguement 2 years ago was...."you can come 3 times now....just buy another license."

Yeah, I know I will never be buying a second license. Typically by my second trip back the weather is already getting ugly. I'd just like to have the opportunity when I go back for Thanksgiving if the weather would happen to be somewhat cooperative to sneak out for a day or two over the weekend. That just ain't worth another $100.

SB 2235 went down to defeat today....25-21

It would have allowed NR a choice of hunting waterfowl on 3 four day periods OR 2 seven day periods.The difference is that 3 fours would have allowed 3 weekends whereas 2 sevens does not.Since over half of the NR who hunt here come from Minn,it would have increased hunting pressure on weekends.Especially since weekends are when most residents hunt.

Just an FYI:

Might want to watch to see how these Senators voted and let the local hunters know how their reps are voting.

I just do not understand why some states are against having NR come into their state and support their economy without being so greedy.

Might be the fact that ND simply does not need the money.

ND residents are not "against" NR's coming in, but most would agree that there needs to be limits on them. I, along with many ND residents, do not see the reason that we should trade in the high quality hunting that we have just so we can make a few more bucks.

Most arent against non residents, most of the guys i hunt with are from mn. I think the whole waterfowl thing is screwed up. They open it a week early to shoot brown ducks for residents only but we lose a week in december when duck hunting can be great on some years. I hunt the north westen part of the state and dont see that many hunters. Around Sak. you see alot of out of state plates the first weekend NR can hunt state land and MEA weekend but after that not much pressure. There is a need for some restrictions (Look at what SD does for nr waterfowl) but all these bills they try to pass gets a bit ridicules.

Well. I was told different from the head of the Game & Fish a few years ago when I talked with him in person.

I was helping at a guided handi capped hunt and I asked him why they do not allow more non res deer hunters as the tags are few and far between for them.

He explained to me that they try to give all the tags to residents and don't really care about the NR hunters. He also explained to me that the Game & Fish has been asked by res hunters to keep the tags for them.

I wonder how all the res ND fisherman and cabin owners would like it if Mn said only a few percent of the fishing licenses would go to nr fisherman and if they do not get one, no big deal.

He also said he thought that he would never see the day that more tags would be given up for nr hunters.

They don't want NR hunters to have more oportunity to hunt because this would lead to high rollers buying hunting land and increasing land values, this would lead to an increase in property taxes to farmers that have big operations. I own a house in ND and enjoy the area and the people very much not just for hunting. I will tell you this I know my business is well appreciated and the local small business people wish I was around more often throwing my dough around. They have comented more than once that when they see a NR they know I'm spending money to hang around not like the Fargo and Bismark guys that pack a cooler and stop in just to use the bathroom.