• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

? for GSP owners

1900_LE

I know there must be a few of you that take your dog with you almost everywhere. My question is, how do you keep all the hair to a minumum? I've got one of those muddy river seat protectors, that I bought from Pheasants Forever. It works OK, but it really isn't wide enough for a Super Duty. The hair all over my truck is getting to me. Thanks for any advice.

Just ouf of curiosity, what are you feeding your dog?

Mine doesn't go with me everywhere, but does spend a fair amount in the truck.

He doesnt shed very much at all, even in the house I dont notice any fur.

I have read that certain foods can cause this or skin allergies can cause bad shedding. So that is the reason I am asking about the food.

Other than that, I can only suggest stopping at the car wash to vacuum? smile

This is my first GSP, but I have had plenty of labs in the past and have a chocolate female now also.

It seems like they only shed for a few weeks in the spring and a few weeks in the fall and even my chocolate with longer hair doesn't shed a lot.

If your dog is constantly shedding every month, I would say it couldn't hurt to try something different than the ingredients that are in purina one.

It could be the grains that may cause it, or it could be the chicken? You wont know for sure until you mix it up a little.

There are foods out there that only have meats and fruits and veggies in them, and others that are fish only. My vet said that Diamond brand is known to cause allergy related reactions in dogs, so I would stay away from that one.

Buy a few of the 5 lb bags of different kinds and see if you see different results...then buy a large bag of what provides best results.

have had two that lived in the house and the issue i have seen is that the hair gets embedded and you just see it more. i am not saying diet and grooming do not matter, but that short thick hair seems to literally weave it self into cloths, furniture, carpets ect. i hope other will chime in with solutions, but i really have not found anything that can prevent it and just learned to put up with it. every breed has positives and negatives. recently had to put down my 13 year old and would gladly put up with the hair if it meant i could see that stubby tail waggle again!

Honestly, I don't care. laugh

One of my dogs has course and sparse hair. She barely sheds.

The other has a thick coat of eyelash length hair that shed 24/7/365.

I try to keep them out of my wife's car but I'm not picky about how the truck looks. It's a truck.

My attitude is get a good vaccuum and don't worry about it.

I'm feeding her Purina One. Maybe I need to switch?

I'd try Purina Pro Plan then. Not a food expert but "chicken" means beaks and feet while "chicken breast" means chicken breast. Could be it. Otherwise grab a good 'pet' lint roler and don't wear dark pants.