• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Patching old screw holes in fiberglass

Chode2235

I am looking to upgrade the trolling motor on my Ranger. It currently has a maxxum motor on it, and I will be going to the terrova.

The mounts are a bit different and will require me to fill in the old unused holes. First, is this a job for DIY? How do I do it, and what will I need?

All of the holes are on the bow step where the trolling motor is mounted, and it is white.

What are your expectations for the repair? Does it need to be invisable or just "seal" the holes?

Ideally it would be nearly invisible. I could just put a gob of epoxy in the holes, but I want it to be a bit more finished if you know what I mean.

Well, we really don't know what YOU are capable of, so do an honest self-assessment. But you can get the supplies, and the project doesn't seem too complex. Plus, you're not doing structural work, so you don't need to worry about that end of things.

Look into buying white gel-coat (paint for fiberglass) and then fill the holes with fiberglass resin and use the gel-coat for finish. There are places that will colormatch, and Ranger could probably get you started. Depending on how long you've had the boat, the actual color you need to match might be different than the color Ranger put on it at the factory.

If you google something like "fiberglass repair" you should find some pretty good "here's what I've done" posts. I have a Glastron that I'm working on very slowly, and seeing what people do in their garages is kind of comforting/ dangerous.

The holes are in the white part of the boat, so it shouldn't be that complicated as I wont have to deal with fleck/matching issues.

I am thinking Marine Tex will be a good fit for this project. Has anyone used a product like this?

I have done a lot of reading out there, and this actually looks pretty straightforward, am I missing something?

The holes are in the white part of the boat, so it shouldn't be that complicated as I wont have to deal with fleck/matching issues.

I am thinking Marine Tex will be a good fit for this project. Has anyone used a product like this?

I have done a lot of reading out there, and this actually looks pretty straightforward, am I missing something?

Marine Tex will work perfectly for what you want to do. I have used many times for filling holes.

It will work by itself. You can wet sand and buff it just like gelcoat. I dont think it will yellow. I cant be 100% sure tho. I've used it here and in Colorado, where uv rays are stronger?, and I dont remember any yellowing.

Bayliner used to have a product called Patch Paste that I have used many times. Not sure if they still have it or not. That stuff was excellent to use when we had a small repair to do. We'd just look up the year to match the color, it was that simple. Sand a little, smear it in, sand, buff, done! You wont find your exact color but may come close.

It will work by itself. You can wet sand and buff it just like gelcoat. I dont think it will yellow. I cant be 100% sure tho. I've used it here and in Colorado, where uv rays are stronger?, and I dont remember any yellowing.

Bayliner used to have a product called Patch Paste that I have used many times. Not sure if they still have it or not. That stuff was excellent to use when we had a small repair to do. We'd just look up the year to match the color, it was that simple. Sand a little, smear it in, sand, buff, done! You wont find your exact color but may come close.

Ooo, patch paste sounds even better. I assume you are talking about the stuff from Spectrum?

The only downfall with this is that it requires temps of 70+. Might be a while for those...

And thank you Boatfixer!!!