• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Where do I find that forum.

Is it a Wisconsin Lake? Wisconsin is broken down into a bunch of regional forums. They are all listed under "Wisconsin Fishing and Hunting".

It's here:

http://www.hotspotoutdoors.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/forums/34/1/Wisconsin_Fishing_Hunting

Welcome to HSO. Don't get discouraged with trying to find what you're looking for. Once you start spending 10 hours a day on here like the rest of us, you'll get the hang of it. wink Good luck!

Fishinman, if you fish the area regularly, I would highly suggest you wander 10miles down the road and fish Nebagamon (sp?) itself. Bigger water, more fish, less pressure per acre. I fish Minnie a lot (cabin access in summer and 2-3 ice trips a year), and like a lot of people, have noticed a decrease in eye and crappie numbers. This is directly due to the 10-15 "Contests" they have on this 500 acres body of water EVERY STINKIN' WINTER. Until this is curtailed, this will be one tough lake to fish in the winter. It is your call, feel free to come on over. Just be warned. Also, check the "Lake Superior-Brule River/WI... Fishing Reports" board at the top of this forum section. It usually has a bunch of quickie reports about Big Minnie. I try to post once a week that I get out there in the summer and after an ice trip. There's a couple of others on the board that get out there a lot in the winter. Good luck. It is a nice lake, just getting tougher for eyes and crappies (I'm guessing Hammerhandle fishing is probably as rampant as it is in open water).

As a local like Raider, I feel qualified to comment on the destruction of Minnesuing's fishery. Generally speaking, on any outing up through June, I could count on landing at least 5 keeper 'eyes, even though I didn't target them. Now after several years of these stupid contests, a 25yr resident like myself struggles to even take a meals worth crappies. My total season take for walleyes out of Minnesuing last year was 1, and that was only 12" and promptly returned. I realize that this rant is on the Duluth forum, but we need to pressure the WDNR into clamping down of these "tournaments", which really are just another vehicle for filling the sponsor's wallet. There. I'm done ranting and moving on to happier thoughts.

So my buddy went to the conest a couple weeks ago Minnie and didn't do well at all.I on the other hand went to my boyhood lake tomahawk in barnes and did pretty well and caught 32 crappies ranging from 13-16in. I kept only 10 as I had my boys with me and am teaching them that you only keep what makes a good meal and only the 13 inchers so that big ones can have there babies.would have kept smaller ones if I had caught them but all in all a great day,from 8am to3.lots of ice there however lots of snow to walk through.

Wow, what a report! I had to go check it. I followed the only tracks out , so I knew I would find the hot spot. I drilled a hole, dropped the bait down and had a giant Crappie on right away. It was so big I could not get his head up the hole. He broke off. I re-tied, dropped the bait down and bang, another giant Crappie. Again, I could not get his head up the hole. I knew my 8 inch Strikemaster was not big enough. I went home got my 10 inch Jiffy,and a Salmon rod with 17 lb.Power Pro. Went back to Tomahawk, drilled the 10 inch hole and dropped down big Swedish Pimple. I bounced the Pimple one time and Wham!! I was fighting another HUGE Crappie. I fought the Crappie for at least 10 minutes. It was just ready to come up the hole and a Huge mouth comes and engulfs the Crappie. It was a Giant Northern. It had to be a 50 lber. It stripped off my line, and snapped my 8 ft. Salmon Rod. I will never fish Tomahawk Lake again. The fish are too big to eat.,and I cant afford to lose all my tackle.

PP I have sent a few emails to the DNR about this very topic so they are aware of the situation. However, I dont know if anything is going to get done. Me like most of you, the best thing we can do is not participate in these tournys and try and spread the word. It would be an awesome thing to go out there and hammer on walleyes some day again...and crappies...

PP I have sent a few emails to the DNR about this very topic so they are aware of the situation. However, I dont know if anything is going to get done. Me like most of you, the best thing we can do is not participate in these tournys and try and spread the word. It would be an awesome thing to go out there and hammer on walleyes some day again...and crappies...

So has the lake association. What the DNR tells them is that as long as they obey the permitting regulations, they can have all they want. I just can't figure out why they can't just go down the road 10 miles and have it on Neb? Bigger lake, more fish, a whole flippin' town on the shore, beats the heck out of me. Unfortunately, Big Minnie is turning into a hammerhandle lake (well, it is still an OK bass lake, but don't let on). Pretty soon I'm just going to be fishing the trout pond at The Acres.

I seriously doubt that Waskos or the Gopher Hole are following all the requirements for hosting a tourney, but Brad might be. We need to lobby for a lower bag limit for crappies on that lake. The pressure it receives during the winter has really decimated their population.