• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hog Hunting

ChompChomp_YANK

I had a hog hunting trip planed to Florida with my nephew and brother-inlaw that fell thru. So I would like to find another place to go. I want to bring my 2 boys on a pig hunt during there spring break in march. Does anybody have connections in southern Missouri, western Tennessee, Arkansas, Oklahoma or southern Kansas that has pigs (not trophys) just pigs to shoot. I would like to keep the drive around 12-14 hours. I have been on the internet looking for days and cant find anything REASONABLE. Everything is trophy boar hunting for $500-$1,000 per hog. I have no problem paying a tresspass fee or hunting fee, just not $750 per person to kill a pig that is suppose to be so damaging to the landowners property. For something that nobody wants they shur dont want to give them away!! I was hoping to find something around $250 per person for 2-3 days of hunting with no limits on hogs. There has to be sombody out there that is sick of the damage to there property and wants some pigs off there land. Thanks for any info CHOMP

You hit the nail on the head,Yank. Why should we, collectively, pay a landowner to rid a vermin off his place? What gets me is what do THEY do to help themselves or do they bank on them being there to be a cash crop for guys who just want to kill em for the heck of it. With these things being such a destuctive nuisance the state & landowner should be putting control/erradication programs in place. Good luck in finding a place to take your kids.

I completely agree with you on this. However its the law of supply and demand. If there wasn't people willing to pay to kill the pigs, there would be free hog hunts available. Why would they give the hunt away for free when the next ranch or property owner down the street is making money selling the hunts.

I would be willing to bet you could find a place to hunt free if you were down there talking to some of the locals, but only the ones that charge a fee advertise on the net. If it sounds like something you want to do pay a fee for hunting the first time and spend some time making some contacts while your down there.

I would be willing to bet you could find a place to hunt free if you were down there talking to some of the locals, but only the ones that charge a fee advertise on the net. If it sounds like something you want to do pay a fee for hunting the first time and spend some time making some contacts while your down there.

That's a good idea. Kind of similar to hiring a guide the first time you visit a new lake. You could also go someplace that has a lot of public land nearby and just play it by ear. If you can get a cheaper hunt on private land, go that route. If you can't get in anywhere, there's always the public land to give it a shot. Of course, I have no idea what the public land situation is outside of MN/ WI/ ND, but you could probably spend a couple of hours on the Googlebox and get some good info.

Tom.

Well is someone going to pay and take the time to set up a web page advising folks they can come and shoot hogs on his land for free?

You are going to find the trophy claimers on the internet, a far cry from the average landowner trying to make some money off of crops. Personal contact is the only way you're going to find what you are looking for, or maybe through something like the Chamber of Commerce in a smaller town. For example you used to be able to get a list of ranchers that would let you shoot prairie dogs from the Mobridge C of C.

Go down to fort benning georgia(or any of the other massive active duty bases in the south). They allow civilians access to the base at a very minmal fee, and there is a ton of land to hunt, and pigs galore. They also manage the bases for wildlife, so there are food plots and areas that aren't strictly training areas. I was down at benning all last spring and summer and there were pigs everywhere. I mostly stuck to golfing and fishing on my down time since i didn't bring any of my firearms, but i had a friend who went out just about everyday and shot pigs all the time.

I have seen alot of stuff on the internet about Missouri starting to get infested with hogs so I went to the Missouri Game/Fish Dept. to get some info on non-resident hog hunting Here is what they sent me.... Dir sir, In the past our Department provided information to persons wanting to hunt feral hogs in Missouri. However, we no longer do so because we have learned that providing such information interferes with our hog eradication efforts. Our goal is to eliminate feral hogs in Missouri. We spend considerable time, effort, and expense in locating, baiting, trapping, and killing feral hogs, and hunters disrupt this process by changing hog behavior. For example, we may spend days or weeks conditioning a group of hogs to enter a baited trap, only to have our efforts thwarted by a hunter who kills one or two hogs and drives the others from the area. The end result is that we have to start all over again in a new location. We encourage hunters afield for other game to shoot feral hogs on sight. Feral hogs are not Classified as either "game" or "wildlife" and may be killed in any number by any means at any time without a permit, except that permit requirements are in effect during the deer and turkey hunting seasons to discourage illegal activity. Regardless, we do not encourage hunting specifically for hogs because doing so only encourages and perpetuates the hog hunting culture. HMMM So they really dont want any hunters to help kill pigs!! I would think that any pig killed is one less that can do damage to landowners and farmers property. From what I have read about hogs, if Missouri can kill all there hogs and keep them out of the state they will be the 1st state to do so!! CHOMP