• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

rod building materials

Where do you guys get most of your rod building materials? I figure lots of guys get the blanks and handles and cork off of mudhole or sites like that but what about the smaller stuff like epoxy and threads for weaving? I want to make a few rods but not sure if i want to invest tons of money into it long term or not.

Cabela's won't even come close to what Midwest Rod and Reel has offered me. Plus Al and Bill can also help so much with any building questions one may have.

I do use Cabela's alot for many items but Cabela's seems to be a bit high unless one has a deal of some sort worked out.

Check Midwest out once as they just may be able to save you some coin.

I agree with Tom, my first rod I built al was nice enough to sit down and explain to me what needs to be done, even showed me a few things. Id probably still be reaming out my handle by hand if it wasn't for him showing me how to do it!

Mr Klean, Midwest has a class they put on too, you make a basic rod and they supply you with what you need and teach you the things. They also send you home with homework, and supply you with a wrapper to use. and its not to expensive either. I might take the class some day just to see if I can pick up a new trick or two.

I was thinking of using Midwest on my next run of rods. I have used Jann's Netcraft and have been happy with their specials and prices. Not as much of a selection for certain things like Mudhole but they have shipped all of my orders quickly and have dropped a few freebies in some orders.

I wish there was someone local around here. Used to be a few in Duluth, but not really anymore. I normally prefer to handle things a little when I buy and also having to pay shipping charges on 1 piece blanks gets a little pricey. So if there is someone close by and their prices are pretty reasonable I would suggest using them, before there are no more "local" places anymore.

To revise my previous post, I would say make the drive to Midwest in Prior Lake. I stopped in today to ask a few questions and pick up a few small things for my wife's new walleye ice fishing rod and Al gave me more info than I could have imagined. Truly a first class operation.

I ended up talking to another fellow HSO rod builder there as well. I wish I could have written down everything I was hearing.

They will be getting ALL of my future business, hands down.

was in cabelas the other night and they have nothing, ill have to check out midwest sometime if i ever make it down that way.

Cabelas is all strictly online. Al is one of the most informative guys when it comes to rods. The hours are not that great, but depending their schedule if you call ahead they can and will usually meet you at their shop if need be.

Al, Bill and Andy are great help. Usually its only one of them there, but Al and Andy are my go to guys!