• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cooperstown Area Deer

Anyone ever hunted this area before? My wifes uncle said I could bowhunt next fall. I guess he has a large tract that he owns and farms. Just wondering if there is a boat load of deer here or not to many and what the area land is made up of? I won't get to talk to him probably till around March so any info on the area would be great.

Thanks

I grew up in Cooperstown. Send me an e-mail. Tell me where from town and maybe his name. Put Cooperstown in all caps in the subject to help me find it from my junk mail. gstetz(at)lakesnet.net

I have bowhunted there one year about 6 or 7 years ago. Cooperstown is a very good area. We didn't have a problem getting permission to hunt. Every farmer was fine with bowhunters. I hunted just west of town on highway 200 were the big dip is on the south side of the road. I think the river that goes through there is called the sheyenne river. Of course there's plenty of farmland. Very nice area and big deer as well. This area is known to put out some big monster. I think you have a pretty good situation. Good luck.

Cicada, I sent you an e-mail. cbrooks, i remember his wife mentioning the sheyenne river. They own land and they also lease land for farming. I know they put in beans and corn. I'm sure the river bottom would be a great place to check out. I'll get more info from him when i see him and maybe place a trail cam up there towards July and see what's running about. Thanks for the response.

I've heard good things about this area in the past. The general info is that there are good numbers of deer and some nice bucks. However, like many areas in ND this year, the numbers are down quite a bit from the years before. My buddy hunted this area this year and was disappointed. According to the land owner who let him hunt there, he saw fewer deer than he's seen in quite a long time this past year.