• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

English Setters

I_Got_One

Hello all,

I am look for some way to get a hold of Dan Pempek with alderwood kennels and I don't know if he stopped breeding or shut down his kennel but I can't seem to find anything on him. I am looking for possible stud dogs for my FemaleDog and I have heard great things from his dogs. Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks

I cant get over how smart they are. Mine is 11 weeks tomorrow. People come over and can't believe it and think I am some kind of master trainer, but I have not taught her a thing except retrieving (she started this at 9 weeks. I use it to train her to come back to the whistle). My biggest thrill is she is not a door crasher. Runs to the door and sits. Wont come in until you are in and call her. Again, all on her own and had nothing to do with me. It is almost scary. I am waiting for the other shoe to drop and reality to set in. Loving every minute of it right now.

I apologize to I_GOT_ONE. I hope 2thepointsetter answered your question. Kupman, we had seen she had two left and my wife was actually thinking about getting one of the remaining males. I told her we will wait a year or two. Here is a picture of Zelda. She is one of the pups whelped 10/28. full-14616-4987-zelda10weeks1.jpg

I couldn't get to the Alderwood site so I'm not sure if its still in operation. To answer your questions knowsnothing I do have two of Jan's dogs. They actually can be seen on her HSOforum however the pup was only 7 weeks old or so in that pic and is over 1 yr old now. Haze is the sire to Chip, the pup. I was really hoping to have a lemon or liver male in the litter I got Chip from. Haze is a liver so I thought it would have been cool to have a lemon and liver or two liver setters. Jan has great dogs. I hope to have many more of Jan's dogs in my life.

Best of wishes to all of you with pups. Just as an FYI I shot pointed Woodcock, Ruffed Grouse and Pheasants all over Chip before he was 10 months old. I didn't force it I just let him go out and see what he could do with no expectations. I am very happy with the little guy.

I primarilly hunt grouse and woodcock. Hunt the Remer and Hill City areas quite a bit. Have some local woodock coverts I can hunt during the week. That is really nice especially for the pup I have.

My older setter will be at most 80 or so but generally is somewhere between 40-50 yards out depending on ground cover. I will let them really run on pheasants if the field is big. Depending on conditions and time of year I'll pull him in.

The pup works a lot closer but I think some of that is his age and the fact that I probably ran him a bit too much with the older dog and another older dog a friend has. He hunts hard but he watches the other dogs a little too much. I will hunt the pup some at a preserve this spring by himself to get him a little extra work. He is a very staunch dog for just a pup.

My older setter is a little bigger runner than Jan's dogs usually are.

Love setters. Clyde's dad is out of Jan's Setter Hills and his mom is out of Heartland Setters, another great outfit. I can't say enough about these dogs. They are such wonderful house/family dogs yet such hard chargers in the field. Clyde is three years old and he's a blast to hunt behind. My wife and I had our first baby this summer and Clyde has been great around him as well!

February-03_1229.jpg

December-17_0735.jpg

Ive hunted over labs my whole life and Im looking to branch out and try something a little different! I'm encouraged by these posts! But quick question, do setters/pointers in general have a hard time hunting in lighter cover where the birds tend to run? I feel like they would lock up on point and the bird would be off and running. My lab points in heavy cover but I have never hunted over a "true pointer" so i do not really have an idea of how a true pointer hunts.

It all depends on how you train them and the instincts of the dog. My older setter had most of his exposure as a pup to wild pheasants. I allowed him to relocate on birds that were running. A good dog will not crowd the birds but it takes some time for a dog to figure that out. Also, in some condiitons it may be a little more difficult on them to know when they are too close. Others train for or have dogs that stop on first scent and won't move. My younger setter is like that. He is a pup but is very steady and that may change as he develops.

It is something people have to decide on what they want and dvelop the training for that. That is assuming the dog wil want to relocate. If you primarilly hunt roosetrs it may be better to let them relocate. If you hunt grouse you may want the dog to be more steady. It's all up to the person and the dogs tendencies.

hmmm alright thanks for the advice! From the little I know, I feel like pointers are more work training wise than labs. We did not train our lab that much other than obedience and retrieving. We just let his natural ability take over and he does great.But Im guessing that is not really the case, I just need to do some more research!

I have never trained a retriever/flsuher so I couldn't tell you. Training for a pointing dog is similar in some ways. You want to bring out their instincts as well but it is different. Pointing dogs have a natural instinct to point a bird. It actually is a pause before pouncing that all dogs, cats, etc do. It's just a natural instinct that comes through after years of breeding for it. You are briinging out the instincts in the dog its just a different type of response by the dog.

I'm not sure how much you know about pointing dogs so i apologize if you know some of this. The intent is they cover as much ground as possible so you dont have to. When they find a bird they must be steady and hold that bird until you get there. This could be a long distance in some cases. In some extremes they can be hundreds of yards away.

It does take time and lots of birds to make the dog reliable. Some of the training can be done in your backyard. Some requires larger tracts of land. During this time the dog may break and try to catch the birds. Again they have to reliable so you can trust them from long distances. Some dogs progress sooner than others but it is work. It all takes some time. Is it more time than is required for training a flusher? I would guess so but as I stated haven't trained flushers so I don't know.

Watching a puppy "figure it out" and point is what made me want a pointing dog. A dog on point always captivates me even if it's tweety bird in the back yard or a squirrel at the park. You can train pointers to high levels but you also can train retrievers to do multiple marks and blind retrieves. I assume that takes a lot of time as well. It's all relative to want you want the dog to do.