• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ATA Show....

Meat-Run

Okay, okay. Here's my final thoughts on the subject. If you took two bows, identical in every way except one is longer than the other and shot them from a machine, I believe the groups would be the same.

Now, take those two bows and hand them to your relatively inexperienced weekend type archer and he will PROBABLY shoot better with the longer bow. I'll give Scoot this one.

Put those same bows in the hands of experienced archers, shooting hunting-type conditions, and I highly doubt the group difference (if any) will be noticable. This is the point I believe stick was trying to get across.

I have no scientific data to back any of this up. (I doubt Scoot does either) It's just an educated guess on my part from being around archers for way more years than I care to think about.

Isn't this fun? grin

Geez, look what I started, it looks like a couple brothers wrestling on the kitchen floor... grin

Scoot, I agree with your statement and stick to your goal(longer axle) becuase you're the one that has to live with it and if you keep hunting out west I would be interested in a longer a2a too. Your analygy with the rifle vs. hand gun is a good one to put some of this into perspective but if your in the market for a mid to short range bow I think a person is splitting hairs on a 32" vs. 31 1/32" a2a.

I'll have my order in for the new Invasion hopefully by end of January (crappieattitude if you send my wife this link you'll never see another "freebie" again wink )

mr

...but if your in the market for a mid to short range bow I think a person is splitting hairs on a 32" vs. 31 1/32" a2a.

I totally agree. I bet you'll like the Invasion. I like everything about it, except it's overall length. But, as you can obviously tell, the lack of length is a deal breaker for me.

My favorite bow, and best shooter, of all time was an '07 Commander. I shot a 425 grain arrow at 275 with it- plenty of speed for me. Importantly, it had awesome characteristics in the two departments I'm most concerned about: accuracy and noise. It was the quietest bow I've ever heard and I drove tacks with it. I still miss that bow...

Isn't this fun? grin

No really, but that's ok. It was for a while...

I agree with the basic idea of everything you said. However, I really believe you're giving WAY too much credit to experienced bowhunters and the form they have. At the shooting range, under perfect conditions, I'm sure you're right- a guy with really good form will do just fine with either bow (just like a robot with perfect, repeatable from would). However, even those of us who have shot a lot for a long time often have less than desirable form when in the field. What happens to most guys' form, experienced or not, when they: only have a couple seconds to shoot, are shooting at a sharp angle up/down, are shooting at an animal that's un unlevel ground (left/right), shooting in a big wind, shooting with a quiver on vs. off, shooting from a tree stand, shooting with more clothes on than they are used to, shooting when leaning around a tree, are shooting at the biggest buck/bull/boar they've ever seen, and on and on and on??? Even Chuck Adams has less than ideal form on many, many shots in the field. Longer bows help to make up for imperfections in form- regardless of whether you've shot for five weeks or five decades.

One question that is relevant-- how long are the bows of the best target shooters in the world? The answer to that question will lead you one obvious direction regarding length of the more accurate rig. Also, look at what most top shooting coachings suggest (not talking about company sponsored people here)- same answer. Why is it that they suggest longer bows? Because they think they are cooler? Because they are more "comfortable" with them? Because the current market has shoved them down their throats? Nope. Because they're more accurate and forgiving.

OK, I'm officially tired of this conversation. If you want to shoot a shorter bow, shoot a shorter bow. I'll shoot a longer bow. Everyone will be happy. Have a fine day!

I don't believe Scoot is right, at least based on anything scientific, and when talking about shooting a release, which when we're talking bows this short is what we should be discussing. Which is not to say he is wrong, but it is more his opinion than anything. The analogy between the longer axle length on a bow has absolutely nothing to do with the longer barrel on a rifle vs a pistol. Not even apples and oranges, more like apples and corn. If he was right, a crossbow wouldn't be as accurate as a compound. And now I'll contradict myself and say that at farther yardages I'll put my money on a top compound shooter over a crossbow every time, but not because of the overall length of the bow.

OK, I'm officially tired of this conversation. If you want to shoot a shorter bow, shoot a shorter bow. I'll shoot a longer bow. Everyone will be happy. Have a fine day!

grin

Oh, and "apples to corn"? LOL- I like that! smile