• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Camera In 2011

New Camera 2011

Wife told me I could spend 600 dollars on a new digital camera.

I do NOT want a DSLR and I do NOT want an underwater camera.

I want something that has high megapixels and not too hard to use.

It needs to shoot quality photos.

No lens cap......not too small...small enough to fit in vest pocket.

?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????

Do a review search for the Canon S95. Same sensor as the G12 but in a smaller package.

Suprised to hear about the runaround.

P.S. If you're selling the G10, shoot me a price. smile

I wonder if Len was using the west coast repair center ?

The Canon S95 might be a better option. Little smaller and lighter but will still take some great pics.

was a design flaw.

sent it to them right away when got it.

turned on 4 times and the retractable lens cover scratched the lens.

They tried to say it was something I did and wanted 200 bucks to fix.

Had them return it to me. LOTS of scratches on lens now...NOT buying another Canon.

Cruddy C.S. will lose customers every time, no doubt.

Try the Panasonic Lumix series, Len, and see what you think. Same advice I give those shopping for their first DSLR applies here. Go into a store that stocks several higher end compact digitals, narrow it down based on your preferred specs to three or four cameras. Hold them in your hands, work the controls, get a feel for them. Then decide, not based on brand or what the clerk is telling you (often the clerk is just ordered to push a certain model because of profit margin or overstock), and buy the camera that fits you best and has controls that make the most sense to you.

And $600 is WAY more than you need for an excellent compact digital camera, so at least budget won't be a big consideration.

Good luck! smile

I agree with Steve on the Panasonic Lumix series. I picked up a lower end one and have been shooting the past 5 days while out in California attending the Rose Bowl. I've been extremely impressed with the quality of this little guy.

Small, compact and good options (except RAW and manual shooting capabilities that I like) plus a movie mode. I paid less than $150 for mine but I do know the upper end ones get rave reviews. I am getting quality shots with this one so the higher end cameras will no doubt produce. Good luck with your choice.

was a design flaw.

sent it to them right away when got it.

It must have been a flaw in the one you got because I had a G10 as did thousands of other folks and there wasn't any recall on them. If a majority of them malfunctioned,it would have got some buzz online for sure.

If I could ask,why did you send it to Canon instead of exchanging it where you bought it if it happened right away?

would have been smart the thing

i had one functional camera and needed it for articles.

Bought it through Amazon and they referred me to Canon America.

I waited for an email that was supposed to be sent for sending it in

and it never came. I re-submitted claim and got another email and it was still season.

The camera functioned....I sent it in at the end of season.

Procrastinating on my part had something to do with it.

Len

I know you feel like you were burned by Canon but you might want to contact Canon and specifically there loyalty department and they might give you a very nice trade in deal on your G-10 towards a G-12 or S95. I have read about Canon owners on POTN getting a very nice discount when something was not taken care as in your case. Squeaky wheel needs some grease wink

Len

I know you feel like you were burned by Canon but you might want to contact Canon and specifically there loyalty department and they might give you a very nice trade in deal on your G-10 towards a G-12 or S95. I have read about Canon owners on POTN getting a very nice discount when something was not taken care as in your case. Squeaky wheel needs some grease wink

Excellent advise!

I agree with Steve on the Panasonic Lumix series. I picked up a lower end one and have been shooting the past 5 days while out in California attending the Rose Bowl. I've been extremely impressed with the quality of this little guy.

Small, compact and good options (except RAW and manual shooting capabilities that I like) plus a movie mode. I paid less than $150 for mine but I do know the upper end ones get rave reviews. I am getting quality shots with this one so the higher end cameras will no doubt produce. Good luck with your choice.

Hi Everyone

Looking for a new camera and thought I would give this post a bump. I need something for family, outdoors, and light commercial use but nothing on the level of a professional, just good quality.

The Panasonic Lumix series seems like it might be right up my ally but there are too many cameras to pick from for a novice like myself, any suggestions? Budget in the $300-400 range.