• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

It's kind of quiet here. Anyone been out spearing?

MJ1657

Had 3 dogs over 30" come in one day a few years ago and speared each one. They provided a good tussle on the end of a spear, but the meat couldn't be used for anything - even pickles. Never will spear one again. Cool fish, the meat was orange like salmon, but too soft. I did fry up a tail piece, but it was tasteless. In the south they call them Calico bass I believe, and they do eat them.

Today I hit another new lake and found the clarity lacking beyond about 6 feet down. Managed to spear two 24" pike, and saw 3 others. The highlight was catching a 27.5" fat walleye on a tip up and sucker. She was the biggest walleye I have caught since moving to the suburbs from Grand Marais over 11 years ago!

So far I have speared 11 different lakes, including 4 new lakes. Even on the familiar lakes, I have hit new spots over 60% of the time in 25 separate outings.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Deer hunting is my favorite thing until spearing starts. If you haven't speared you should try it. I've had some very good days in the spear house this year. Some days I've seen over 20 northerns,40 sunfish,10 bass, and a few perch. It's hard to take my grandkids with though, because I have to travel to a different lake then where I stay because of slot limits.

My son was still signed in when I posted the 49 northerns. He couldn't sit that long. That was a great couple of days though. Spike is for all the spikes I've shot through the years. The spearing was north of Brainerd.

I speared 15 different lakes this season, including 5 new ones where several good spots have been located. One of the highlights for me was getting out with my wife on a day the fish were moving so she could take a few pictures. In the one below you can see a nice pike in the upper right corner swimming through.

SpearFishing2011005.jpg

A friend and I were out this morning in separate houses. He saw the dogs today (three dogfish came through for him) and he had 10 carp on the ice when I left him.

I set a personal best of 14 speared carp in one morning today. I left the northers alone (had two come in). The carp are going in the deep freeze. I will smoke two of the smallest ones and plant the others for the garden for the best fertilizer around!

009.jpg

Happy B-Day Mcfin and many more

ALRIGHT GUYS LETS NOT HAVE THIS SPEARING FORUM BE THE QUEITEST ON THE SITE ..

I'm starting to plan for next season already and I hacve a wheeled house already in the works and a few more things planned or next season.. like

getting out way more than I did this year and even putting out my perm this year.