• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What are you going to change for next year.

Archerysniper

The biggest thing I am going to change is me! I am very fortunate to have some great propertys to hunt and alot of time to hunt. I have been chasing whitetails with a bow for over 25 years. And I think I lost site of why it is that I love bowhunting. Two seasons ago I spotted a monster buck across the road from one of my propertys And since that day he has become an obsession of mine Yes I still make sure to take the time to hunt with my wife and kids. But I have spent an obsurd amount of time and energy trying to kill this one deer. There are some people who call this type of hunting the ultimate goal pick one deer and do what it takes to harvest him.(legally) But I believe for me it ruined my own enjoyment of why I bowhunt. And has caused me to do some stupid things trying to harvest this one buck like walking down the root river at the end of october in waist deep water without the aid of waders. Hunting through wind storms that would scare a windmill. Losing sleep over my next move. Getting out into the woods 2 hours before sunrise only to panic when I get there over wich stand I need to sit. And the absoulute biggest no no a bowhunter can make burning out an area to the point that no deer are using that piece of property at all anymore. I have not hunted that piece since the second weekend of the firearms season I just checked it out a few days ago and there is not a single track to be found. Nobodys fault but my own. I also passed on some very respectable bucks in the 150" range. Thats not why I love bowhunting I love bowhunting because of the solitude in the stand but yet the commoradity after the hunt, or when you have deer so close that you can hear them breathing yet they havent a clue you are there. I love watching the sunrise and set there is nothing better than watching the woods come alive in the morning. And those are the things that I need to get back to the simple joys of bowhunting. If the oppurtunity is given next season I will try my best to stick the first mature buck that presents a shot. And if no shot presents itself or even if I see no deer at all I think I will be a better bowhunter because of my new outlook on why I choose to hunt. P.S the deer that caused me to lose sight of the reasons I hunt grosses over 200" so my advise to all who bowhunt both newbies and those that have been around awhile is never let any deer interfear with the reall reason we hunt.

Good post bottom bouncer!!

Changes for next year:

1) More archery stands on the 2nd property that I hunt.

2) Tweek stand placement/add a couple more stands to my home place.

3) Get permission to hunt a couple more farms so I don't burn out my home place by hunting it too often.

4) Scout out a couple of public hunting spots and hunt early in the season - so I don't burn out my home place.

5) Hunt more early season. Last year I didn't want to use up my bow tag too early, so I didn't hunt much in Sept/early Oct, waiting for that prime rut time in early Nov.

6) Don't get caught up on shooting only one of the big bucks that I saw on my trail cams, I will hunt them early (see #5) but come early November, I will harvest a deer.

7) More practice, will be setting up an indoor range this winter, plan on doing more practice at longer ranges this summer, also practice more with broad-heads.

BB Ive not shot a deer with a bow in over two years and your right about one deer dictating how you season ends. Just curious, the property I hunt is divided by the root river, what area do you hunt? Dont have to be specific.

HH between lanesboro and rushford. Its not the not shooting a buck that bothers me its been a few years for me in that department as well. And as far as letting the 150 class bucks walk. Both nights I sat in the truck afterwards and thought to my self what in the h$ll am I thinking. Oh well maybe next year I will get the priveledge of holding some horns in my hands.