• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

My '94 Indy Classic 500 won't start

JoeTC

I just got this sled from my uncle and it isn't starting and i'm looking for ideas on what it could be. It only has 387 miles on it but has been sitting a while. I siphoned the gas out and put some new fuel in. The battery is like new and was on a battery minder, both plugs have spark but it just won't go. I can get it to go for a few seconds if I dump a little gas straight in the cylinder but that's it. Seems like it's not getting gas but I don't know why. Any ideas? It is fuel inject by the way.

Thanks,

Joe

Yep, sounds like fuel delivery. I'm not up on fuel injection. Carbs are more my thing, but if it's been sitting that long with stagnant gas you may easily have gummed up jets (if fuel injection uses jets), and the whole injection system's innards probably need a good cleaning. Any fuel filters could also be totally gummed. If it's been ethanol gas sitting in there for a long time, soft fuel lines will break down and the small pieces will clog openings fuel needs to get through. If you can replace fuel filter(s) and get it running, you can dump in a can of injection cleaner with each tank of gas for a few tanks, and that could take care of matters. Also a good idea to check fuel lines carefully for signs of breakdown. Sometimes old lines will crack and the cracks will be so slight it's hard to see them.

We have a couple of the Classics a 94 and a 97. First off they are carborated sleds. 1) Clean the carbs - a clogged jet can lean out a cylander very quick and burn down a piston. I have been doing some research and there is another snowmobile forum dot com that has some great tips on cleaning the carbs- Pics and step by step directions.

I have also heard of some of the Indy series sleds where the inlet screen falls apart at the bottom of the main tank and needs to be replaced.

You probably should change out the coolant and the gear lube. If there is oil in the oil resivor you may want to dump that and start with fresh 2 cylce engine oil. From what I have read there is no need to use synthetics in these sleds because they don't have any special valves.

I am still in the learning stage with these sleds myself and I intend to clean the carbs this week. We share them with other family members and leave them up north. Our's have 4500 miles on them each.

Good Luck

Merry Christmas

Steve