• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dog jumping up on people

harvey lee

I have a 1.5 year old American cocker that I got and the only issue is she likes to jump up on people.

Is there a surefire way to stop this?

I have tried turning my back to her when she does this to no avail. The only thing that has worked to some degree is to tell her down and hold my hand out open when I say it.

Seems we are getting somewhere but very slowly.

Any good tips?

Yes, I used that on other larger dogs but Annie is only 22#'s and I would have to use my foot. I really do not want to kick her. Worked well on my other larger breeds.

If someone comes to the door. I have been holding her down and saying no but it is not going that well but it is working to some degree.

I could put a shock collar on her and say down and if she does not get down I could sting her but I would rather not do that if I can find a better way.

She sits, comes and everything else so well but the jumping has been a real test.

I will not allow her to jump on anyone.

grab the front 2 paws and flip him backwards....he'll never jump on anyone/car again. Ive also heard that stepping on the back toes works aswell.

Yep, you are correct. I went outside and came back in and she jumped up and I tipped her over. The she ran to the other room and did not like that at all. I did it 3 more times in the last hour and the next time she jumped up and she tipped over again.

The next 2 times she did not try. Seems to work pretty good and fast. Now I just have to have my wife do it and continue to go out and come back in.

Thanks to all for the info.

ALL these small problems are the result of Poor OB . When someone knocks at the door make her sit across the room, if she moves put her back and try again untill she sits there Open the door if she moves put her back and do it again, End result is you tellin her when it is ok to greet the guest. Most of the excitment will be gone and a good part of the jumping will go away as well. If you have to hold her down as you open the door the dog is training you.

I have a 1.5 year old American cocker that I got and the only issue is she likes to jump up on people.

Is there a surefire way to stop this?

I have tried turning my back to her when she does this to no avail. The only thing that has worked to some degree is to tell her down and hold my hand out open when I say it.

Seems we are getting somewhere but very slowly.

Any good tips?

Knee her in the chest...and tell your guests that also. When i say knee her in the chest, do it like you mean it...It will keep your dog off of people.

You're on the right track...Find something that works along those lines (a nudge in the chest). I grew up around big labs, and when them dogs come barreling up to me, all i do is twitch my knee and they stop on a dime...now they know better. It is important to teach your guests this prior to entering the house...If she learns that strangers cannot be jumped on, there's less chance that your dog will jump on any kids.