• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Stubborn Pup...

MNBIGBEAR

Well, my lil chocolate lab is about 4 months old. Some things he is catching onto very well including retrieving. The problem I am having is getting him to come when he is not retrieving. He just totally ignores me most of the time. I have read things that say you are not supposed to use treats for this but I am not sure what other way to drive it home that he is to come when he is called. (worried about him running into traffic or something someday) Any suggestions?

Pretty normal, get a light 20 ft. " check cord" something he can drag around when your out with him it might bug him at first but after a while he won't notice it. Of course this is when he is being supervised, incase he were to get tangled up. When he ignores you give a little pop on the lead and say your commande HERE or COME whjat ever you use. When he gets to you praise the heck out of him, you can start with treats and praise to TEACH what you want at first but then ween him off the treats you want him to learn he HAS to come when called because YOU said so not because he is going to get a treat.

Are you following any kind of program with you pup?

Long lead, let him get some distance from you. Out of the blue give the command come with a quick snap on the lead and immediately reel him in as fast as you can. A quick snap is not a bigjerk, same as you'd use in correction while on heal.

If there is any resistance on his part you'll pull that much harder making it unpleasant to him.

Phrase when he gets to you.

This isn't a one time lesson. Repetition is what he needs.

If at anytime in the future he doesn't honor the command come, immediately get the lead on him and give him the come command lesson.

I would buy a e collar. get one that has adjustable settings and only give enough of a sting when he wont come so his ear twiches.

I have had great luck with my dogtra 2500 it has a nick and a constant setting. my 8 month old French britt needs it set to 17 out of like 150. its super effective and I can barley ever feel the shock when I put it on the back of my hand.

I would buy a e collar. get one that has adjustable settings and only give enough of a sting when he wont come so his ear twiches.

With all due respect, please do not do this to a 4 month old dog. When a dog is older, and fully understands the commands, it is effective to give them a buzz, but if they do not understand, it is just confusing. Imagine me speaking a foreign language to you, and then shocking you when you don't understand it. Same thing with a e collar. I am a firm believer that a e collar if a reinforcing tool, not a training tool. The dog must first know what is expected of him at all times. 4 months is just too young for this type of training IMHO.

Get the dog back to basic obedience. Sit, walk 10 steps, call come (pull on check cord if needed), command sit, walk 10 steps, repeat process. Do this for 10 minutes twice a day. It is very basic and boring, but gets the dog to do what you expect of it, and you can never have a dog that is too obedient. If after two weeks the dog is not coming when you tell them to, start to think about a e collar.

Good luck with training. A dog is only as good as the training and time put into them, so take whatever time is needed when they are a pup, and good things will happen!

I honestly don't think MOST people follow any type of program when training there dog, I don't know if the original poster is or not but very few do. And the end result is a dog with alot of holes in there training, and an owner that puts there dog in a position whether it be a training or hunting situation where it can not succede.

If your going to spend 10 to 30 minutes a day training you might as well be doing something that makes sence. If yo have no foundation you have nothing to ever build on.

Read some books, buy some videos, join a club, find a pro close by and ask if they need help throwing birds ect.

I personally don't have a problem putting a E-collar on a 4 monthe old pup and begining his collar conditioning, I have a 5 monthe old that goes nuts when I take the collar off the counter, but would I advise any one to do it NO.

With all due respect, please do not do this to a 4 month old dog. When a dog is older, and fully understands the commands, it is effective to give them a buzz, but if they do not understand, it is just confusing. Imagine me speaking a foreign language to you, and then shocking you when you don't understand it. Same thing with a e collar. I am a firm believer that a e collar if a reinforcing tool, not a training tool. The dog must first know what is expected of him at all times. 4 months is just too young for this type of training IMHO.

The original post basicaly said the dog knows to come but refuses there is nothing wrong with a ecollar. there is 0 differance between using a collar and using a check cord.

Dont expect a young dog to be top notch. Its like teaching kids the right things, its a long process. Mine was very bull headed at that age. Did all the obedience classes and training. Took him to the field hunting but was very raw. Finally took him to a trainer when he was 2 years old.Best thing I ever did. They can work with them every day. He came back a polished dog. He now listens to every command and generally obeys it. I would get the basic commands down first so he knows what you want and then maybe get a trainer if you can afford it. Its well worth it in the long run.