• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2 Cycle Oil Recommendations?

sticknstring

What are you guys with older ('98 Polaris) machines running? I've ran the Polaris synthetic blend, whatever Arctic Cat's synthetic is, and even some generic 2 cycle stuff from the gas station to get me by in a pinch. My machine burns quite a bit of oil and I'm having a hard time justifying paying the $30/gallon prices. Any cheaper alternatives that won't seize the sled? Does Walmart still have that Super Tech stuff by Pennzoil on the shelf?

With the newer 2-cycle sleds with power exhaust valves AMSOIL Interceptor is definitely the preferred lube. By the gallon it's suggested retail is $37.50, the preferred customer wholesale is $28.85 per gal or $109.80 cs of 4, easily justifying the PC membership fee.

With an older machine with the standard reed valves only, the AMSOIL HP Injector will save you money, retail $31.50/gal, PC wholesale $24.25/gal or $92.20 cs of 4.

If you have a premix machine rather than oil injected you can use the Saber Professional, the same mix oil as many augers are using.

(With any of these links you get full product info and direct order, I get credit with these links.)

Sticknstring, As a fellow Buffalo resident, I would have to second the FF recommendation with respect to total cost involved for your application. Since your sled does not have power valves, synthetic oil is really not needed, and even if you have the valves, you would simply have to clean them more often using regular mineral based oil.

A buddy of mine who is a rep for a company that blends oil for most of the major manufacturers gave me the heads up on the differences in the oils, and the only real difference is the additive package, as they all use the same base stocks to start with. They actually run the engines on a dyno and evaluate the specific requirements for each engine design, so I would think that the manufacturer's know what they are doing when it comes to the oil they recommend. For an older sled, the traditional mineral based oil will work just fine, especially considering that you have an injection system that pumps a fixed amount, regardless of the quality of the oil.