• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

A Few Owls from the Bog

Jim Almquist

The Bog was treating me nice today by giving me a Great Gray Owl and 2 Northern Hawk Owls.The GGO was a little uncooperative. He refused to look at me and would not even fall for the squeaker. He was on the hunt and would only look right and left. Every time it moved it was headed away from the road mad It was fun watching him hunt and considering it was 8:45 I felt lucky to even see him.

_B7D6027copy.jpg

_B7D6030copy.jpg

_B7D6041copy.jpg

_B7D6051copy.jpg

_B7D6074copy.jpg

_B7D6122copy.jpg

The GGO has a nice stately pose. It looks like it's call would be Harummph!

The NHO must be the same one you caught last time with the attitude!

And all you can say is what a sweet little Chickadee!

All nice shots and thanks for sharing.

Mike

JimMalm,

I loved the pictures and it inspired me to strap on the snowshoes and head for some boggy area. With the approaching full moon, I was thinking about an evening sojourn. Do the owls get more vocal after sunset? If so, I might not see as much as if i went in the day, but the moonlit owl concert would be a thrill.

Thanks

I have never had a GGO make any noise but its not like I get to watch or listen to them as much as one would want.

I have had a NHO or I should say 2 make one heck of a ruckus while fighting over a vole and that was the first time I have been able to hear one.

Maybe one of the other birders will chime in cause I would have to believe they must make some noise during mating season.

Good finds! Would love to see a GGO in real daylight!

It sounds like there are at least 2 if not 3 that are in the bog all the time. Now getting a shot in good light is another story.

Thanks for all the nice comments from all of you grin

Not to confuse anyone but these shots were originally posted on 12/13/10

There is one GGO in particular that is hunting almost all day right now. Well, at least it has been for the last few days. However, its not very approachable as far as photography goes but its very active so its fun to watch.