• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Picking a Spear...Tough Decision

bowhunt

Hey guys, so I was pretty much set on what spear I was going to buy but I saw one tonight that has me second guessing.

I can buy this spear for $85, but the one I would be getting would be a 9 tine.

http://www.blizzice.com/Images/Spear.jpg

Or the spear I saw tonight looks like this one for $100.

3m23o73pc5V65U25R6abb75cf980347fb1ad2.jp

This spear looks like it wouldn't have the tendency to plane like the first one. I just want some other opinions as I have never speared before, so this will be my first spear. The cost difference between the two doesn't really matter because I have to drive a ways to pick up the cheaper one.

Thanks,

Bowhunt

I dont think the quality is there on the yellow one, I believe I saw that at the ice show last year and passed on it cuz of quality reasons. look at lakco company spears if your thinking of the yellow one. the one in the pic looks pretty good too, guess it all depends on how much ya wanna spend...

Thanks for the advise Laska. I think Gander Mountain in Eden Praire carries the Lakco spears, the only ones they had looked pretty beat up though. I am guessing they are left overs from last year and have been banged around in the store a bit.

bowhunt

This picture looks exactly like the spear I saw today.

harden_spear.jpg

I am a little worried about it holding fish so they don't fall off. If anyone uses one like this let me know how it has worked for you.

Thanks for any replies,

Bowhunt

This picture looks exactly like the spear I saw today.

harden_spear.jpg

I am a little worried about it holding fish so they don't fall off. If anyone uses one like this let me know how it has worked for you.

Thanks for any replies,

Bowhunt

I have a spear exactly like this one and have nothing but good things to say about it. It always throws true and doesn't make air bubble when thrown like some others that I have seen. As far as holding fish I had the same thought but the barbs hold surprisingly well, I haven't lost a fish yet in two seasons. On the smaller pike less than 30" it usually goes all the way through so they cant really come off. I speared a 39 incher last year and it went crazy swimming around the hole, the spear held just fine with just two tines in the fish.

I think that is what is often called an 'Amish' spear. I used one just like that my first year. After that I bought the stainless steal version. (Hindsight I wouldn't have bought the one I did. Should have looked around some more for a hand-crafted.) Gotta make sure it's sharp, and that the barbs are looking good. I really like those spears. I haven't met a fish that was too big yet, but I also have never tried to stick anything over 40".....yet. And I very rarely spear the 30"-40"ers, one 31" last year was all I believe. I also spear many a carp each winter. I like those spears for the carp, because I am able to bend the tines back into place if they happen to bend out when hitting. Not sure how well that would go over on laser-cut spears, or other spears.

DONT BUY!! I have one of those same cover and everything and I donked a fish yesterday and only scratched the fishes head, knocked him out so I still speared it but I will be sand blasting it and have the spurs filled and sharpened, speared a 34" last year and it almost came off the spurs just dont hold, wish I would have bought another lakco.

I added extra long or bigger barbs to a friend spear that was like the one pictured he had a couple of pike fall off so I made new barbs for his and he hasnt had a problem with it since,

It is a good spear just needs some tweekin to get it right

Does anyone know where I could find a Lakco spear to take a look at it, other then Gander Mountain. Preferably in the west/south west metro, also if you know what price they are asking for them that would be great.

Thanks for all of the advise and help, I want to pick up a spear either tonight or tomorrow, if I can decide on one.

Bowhunt

I got it 2 years ago and am very happy with it. I've never had a fish come off. I agree with glenn that if you lose a fish it's not the spear it's where you hit the fish.

I hit the darn fish a half inch in front of the sweet spot and the mark was on the fish when I brought it up, my wife saw the same thing I did, I had a perfect shot so its not all where you hit the fish, I still got him tho cuz I knocked him out on the initial shot...

Well I picked up the second spear last night and I really like the look feel so far. Hopefully I don't have the penetration issues that Laska has experienced, if so I guess he can give me a big "I told you so". I am planning on getting out for the first time ever on Friday morning, if anyone else is going out on friday around the south west/west metro and wouldn't mind showing a new guy the ropes let me know.

Bowhunt

sounds like Im the only one with the problem, I must have got a lemon, happens to me quite a bit, only suggestion would be bend the spurs out a touch for extra hold. And good luck spearing!! I dont live around you otherwise Id show ya some things, besides falling in a spear hole and losing fish...

...if anyone else is going out on friday around the south west/west metro and wouldn't mind showing a new guy the ropes let me know.

Bowhunt

I don't know my work and hunting schedule for Friday yet (new job), if no one else speaks up as a sure thing I might be able to show you a few things. I will try to post on Thursday evening if'n I'm available.