• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I need names of good breeders in MN for a new GSP pup!

Hammertime

I have been doing lots of research, and I want to make sure I get a good dog, but I am looking for a female German Shorthair Pup. Looking for any input from anyone on breeders or lines they have gotten good pups out of. Also looking for a good yet reasonable trainer for an intro to bird/guns/obedience. I want to do it right this time! Hoping to have new pup sometime this spring to get it on birds before next season!

We have a couple AMAZING gsp pups. both males. Would be willing to stud them but they wont be ready for a while. If you haven't found anything within a year or two, let me know. (They are ridiculous blood lines) Of course you would also need to find a lady suitor.

There are a few routes you can take.

1) Go to the GSPMN HSOforum and get the contact info of the breed secretary. Tell him/her you are looking for breeders of hunting shorthairs (sadly there are breeders who don't hunt their gsp's) and get their contact info. Call the breeders. Ask lots of questions - including ones you may think are dumb.

2) Go to the MN chapter of NAVHDA and follow the same procedure outlined above.

3) Email me at clark dot koenen @@@@ hotmail dot com I have a couple other contacts that may be of use to you.

4) Use a search engine - bing, google, etc. - and run queries to find MN based breeders.

Do some research and be sure of what type of GSP you want as there can be some differences in what types of dogs various breeders are producing. For instance I like a dog that runs like it's hair is on fire. Some people like a slower more methodical gsp. There are breeders that produce small speedy dogs and larger slower dogs. Some like more "versatility" and some are only interested in producing upland bird dogs. There's a shorthair out there that will meet almost anyone's needs; the only thing one needs to do is the research.

LightningBG, where did you get your gsp pups?

I'll have to check. We have always run Brits, but our trainer called one day and said he found 2 dogs we just had to have. They were spoken for long before they were born, but the buyer fell through (forfeiting his $1000 deposit). They are second generation out of Germany, and the parents have 8 high up championships between them. I don't do trials so I'm not familiar with what they all are. We HUNT our dogs. These guys are A-list IMO.

At 8 weeks we were shooting over them. Risky I know, but it wasn't planned. They were a long ways out (other side of the farm house/farm) and wanted to come check out what was happening. Shooting was what was happening. They would just come sit at our feet while shooting or play with each other. For the next 3 weekends, they would go with the people posting fields and play around. Never flinched when shots were fired. Again, risky that they could've gotten gun shy, but we got lucky in that respect. I wouldn't suggest the same practice.

At nine weeks they were retrieving planted pheasants. We'd go toss a bird in the weeds or plant one under a pile of hay let them look for it. They found almost all of them. They love it too. They can pick the birds up, but can barely walk with them because the birds are almost as big as they are.

Before I say too much about studding them (not necessarily for your current needs), I should probably double check that we have the rights, but we've always gotten them with all our previous dogs.

Always, I'll find out where they came from and get back to you.