• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

belgian browning a-5: to refinish or no?

Hi all,

I just picked up a pre-WWII solid rib FN browning A-5 12 gauge (field grade, no engraving on the reciever). I am wondering if anyone has an opinion on whether or not to reblue the barrel on it. i don't want to hurt the value of it, but the blueing is a little worn on the barrel along the stock. the wood seems fine, just a couple small pock marks. I bought it on a whim at $400 because i thought it was a steal at that, plus i love the history of the shotgun. Think fixing it up would help, or hurt its value?

thanks for any advice!

Unless there is something wrong with the A-5 that will affect its shootability just leave it as it is.....a little stock wax will help save the finish and a good thorough cleaning might be in order. These are classics, even though they are not scarce by any means. You will find it to be a natural pointing and dependable shotgun. Carefully inspect the fore-end and always keep an eye on it because they are prone to cracking, usually at the upper end.

John Browning designed a lotta great guns and this is one the best. I'd take one any day over the new whiz bang black smoked metal and plastic shooting utensils popular today. For real fun, grab a .20 gauge!!

It will look better with a good thorough cleaning. I have never reblued a gun, but have refinished stocks before. A good thorough cleaning with a toothbrush and some very fine steel wool and oil will probably polish it up real nicely. Be very careful that if you take it apart, you pay attention to which screws come out of which holes, and which side. They are a royal pain the arse to clean, but once you get it done, it will probably clean up real nicely. They are classics. My Dad has one and I bascially gave it the thorough break down and clean, but it was not the easiest gun I have broken down before. Just be careful of the parts.