• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How much should a 2010 boat be discounted?

h8go4s

I'm looking at buying a new boat, motor & trailer this fall, to be delivered next spring. The 2011 models are out, but I found a 2010 rig. I'm wondering how much I should expect them to knock off on a $15,000 package. I'm not very good at haggling, so I usually end up wondering if I paid too much.

Ron.

Being that you are ordering it start by offering them a lowball figure and see what they come back at......if you don't like the reply or for that matter even if you like their price wait a couple days and come back with another price and see if you can get it lower.....if they don't budge on the price either take it or shop around some more

I think it depends more of what you are buying. If it is a popular model, then the dealer just may be content to let it stay on the lot until spring when demand picks up. If it is a brand that isn't regionally popular the dealer may want to unload it. My rule of thumb is to make a low but reasonable offer. Worst that can happen is that the answer is no. My guess is the best you will be able to do on a $15K boat is 10%. As suggested I would put some effort into getting some additional equipment put on the boat in lieu of a discount. Dealers usually have lots of left over trolling motors, depth finders, batteries, etc. which are becoming obsolete because of the new models on the way . Also try to get things like extra seats, upgrade in trailer, cover, spare tire, etc. All the extras adds up.

I also would do some research and try to find out what sorts of spiffs and rebates may be coming in 2011. You may do a lot better monetarily by waiting till spring. Spring finance deals can also save you some serious $$$. Last spring my credit union was offering 2.5% for 5 years on new boats, campers and motorcycles. I've also bought two boats at boat shows and did much better than the deal I could get earlier on the same dealer's lot.

All of the opinions you've gotten so far are valid. Getting the boat dealer to throw in (or discount) extras has always been a good way to increase the value of your purchase. Regarding their wiilingness to discount the actual boat, motor and trailer, think of it this way. We are still in a terrible economic situation. People are out of work, people are fighting to hold on to their homes. That being said, I would guess that the boat dealers aren't generating the revenue that they were generating five years ago. Also, a 2010 boat that sells now is $ in their pocket rather than $ that they have tied up or are payning interest on. Aditionally, a 2010 boat in inventory next year is going to compete against the sale of a 2011 model. As the last writer stated, make them a low but reasonable offer (I would offer 15% to 18% less) leave them a number to reach you and be willing to wait them out. I would not call them back until mid December. At that time do not change your offer but remind them of what you offered to pay and see how they respond. The boat dealers want you to believe that they are not hurting but I find it hard to believe that new boats are flying off of the shelf during this very weak economy. Every sale that they get is a sale that their competition did not get. Lastly, if you did your research and are happy with what you pay for the boat, it is a good deal.

you might want to get several prices from serval dealers even

if its different than what you want

play them against each other

i just about bought a skeeter it was a good deal i'm good at haggelin and enjoy it...its fun dont be afraid to shoot low who cares what they think

you hafta make the payments

i was spose to go sign the final papers (had given him a check) thats how close i was i didnt sleep very well that night

and called the yar craft dealer the next day told him what i was doing and asked if he could match it they did plus i got him to take off a johnson kicker and put a t-8 on

so instead of 18ft skeeter i ended up with a non current 20 ft yar craft

and never have looked back

when you spending that kind of money dont let any one sway your thinkin GET WHAT YOU WANT !!!!!!!!!!

Be sure you get hp to match your boat dont get so hafta try to reprop and this and that.. get all the bell and whistles you can afford

look at alot of boats

i went to darn near every show that winter looked at all the boats 3-4 times lund..skeeter...ranger...triton..yar craft..

think bout storage to

color and design..think bout it but to me it wasnt real important

theres deals out there just take your time

some times you might work in a extra yr or 2 of warrenty

I got 5 yrs most are 3

make a list

be happy !!!!!!

as most will tell you on here i'm pretty proud of my boat !!!! lol smile :