• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Springer's 11 weeks old

Jack Peterson

My pup Cooper is 11 weeks old, and sure loves to use his nose!

He comes and sits by command, when he's not distracted by other people or dogs. This should improve with age, i think.

I've taken him out with the .22 and he shows no sign of gun shyness.

What's next? Teach him how to retrieve? Take him out in the field to sniff around for pheasants? Let him be a pup for a few more weeks?

I'm like 2.5 hours from Kilkenny otherwise I would come train him.

I just feel like so many bad habits from my older Golden are rubbing off on him! Worried that if I don't start him younger, my older dog will wreck him.

I'll just work on little puppy things for now.

I know your training a Springer but check out Bill Hillmans "Training a Retriever Puppy" I feel it's the best puppy program out there, it allows the puppy to be a puppy but really teaches the puppy to have patience, a solid foundation for when training really begins, and I believe it would be helpful with any breed. I'll post a link from a training session from last week with my 15 week old lab pup in a new thread. I like this program because it blends alot of things together rather than a STEP by STEP and day to day process.

I'm like 2.5 hours from Kilkenny otherwise I would come train him.

I just feel like so many bad habits from my older Golden are rubbing off on him! Worried that if I don't start him younger, my older dog will wreck him.

I'll just work on little puppy things for now.

Where are you, some of us in that group may live closer and you can come here as well, Alex area. Do your self a favor and get the book HUP. Thats the only book you need. Sounds like your off to a good start.

I agree with the book HUP! Also post up were you live - there are groups all around the state. Best thing I every did was hook up with guys that knew what they were doing. I was an old Lab guy and this Springer training is a different deal.

I'm 30 minutes Northwest of St. Cloud.

Well your in luck I am only about a 1/2 hr away. if you search for, blue river gundogs. com on over you can train with us in the Alex area. I haven't figured out this PM deal yet, even after Rick told me how. I can't find it.