• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Polaris Sportsman 850XP EPS

Righty

Beside the fact that I'm Team Can-Am, this Polaris model has been given very good reviews and has an exceptionally smooth ride. One thing I would say is try to get an upgrade on the tires right away. The stock ones are junk and will not last long.

Polaris is known for their machines having an ultra smooth ride, mainly because of their weight and the XP should be no different!!

Suspension and how it's set up on the machine is the reason behind the smooth ride. You can make any machine regardless of weight, ride as good as a Polaris.

Thanks guys. I was kind of wondering about the tires, because I asked the dealer where I'm planning to buy it from and the sales person said that they are good, I wanted to upgrade them but wasn't really sure if it was a something that really need to be done but after hearing this it makes me consider upgrading more.

Well, the stocks are only 3ply, personally I don't ride on anything less than 4. Last thing in the world I want is a blown tire cuz I wanted to save some bucks with less ply. With 3 and 2 ply your tire is more flimsy and while trail riding any turns will cause your tire to begin folding over...I'd look at ITP's, Dunlop if you have a semi-heavy pocketbook, gauge tread design on the type of riding you do. I'd go with a 4 or 6ply which are much more tougher and still don't add alot of weight on.

I have the 550 and really like it so far, though I haven't been able to put many miles on it yet. I had a 05 500HO. I swapped my tires for 27" Mudlite XTRs. My wheelers an 09 and I needed wheel spacers to accommodate the 1" wider tire. I guess the 2010s have a different sway bar which I assume is because of the close proximity of the tire. So plan for different wheels too or $110 for the spacer (not on in this pic).

P1030358.jpg

Kind of an evil grin with the rear brush guard smile

P1030357.jpg

I guess personally I have driven Polaris ATV's for the past decade from a trail boss 325 to a sportsman 500 and now a ranger rzr and if I ever buy another ATV or UTV it will be another brand and probably a Can Am. I love the fact that it is a Minnesota company but there are alway design flaws and issues that I don't want to deal with any more.

not does it only ride nice and smooth but one of the things I like about the new design and no one seems to ever mention this is that the ergonomics are really narrow now with the motor turned. its much easier to navigate and hug the machine with your legs on off camber or steep terrain etc

they made it even more comfortable to ride, and it doesnt feel as wide now

It's roomy, with great ergonomics, by far the best Polaris has ever had. Obviously there is plenty of power, but it's a pretty smooth delivery so it doesn't seem as quick as a CanAm 800 or Kawasaki Brute Force. The seat seams to be stiffer than the older models, must be using a different type of foam on the XP's. The only real downside that I've seen is the power steering is pretty squirrely over 60 mph.