• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

outboard tipped over on a stand in my garage. cracked midsection

ZEEK1223

My 25hp Honda tipped over in the garage. The misection,or center cowling is cracked. I talked to a guy, and he said either weld it, or total it out. He said it would cost more to fix than it would be to buy a similar used motor.it is a 2002,or2004 four stroke. Anyone know of any good shops that I could contact,or any other advice that would be great.I'm sure someone has had this happen before. The big issue is the part is one piece of cast aluminum,and you have to take the engine off to get replace it.thanks

Bring it into a prop shop or someone that specializes in welding aluminum and get an estimate. I don't think the price of repair will remotely come close to a used one in same year. Removing the powerhead and lower isn't that big a deal. Depending on the crack it might not need to be taken apart. It might not even effect it structurally. Next option is finding a used mid section at a salvage.

I took it into a shop,this morning. He looked at it for a while, and just said no. He wanted to work on it but he just didnt think he could weld in such a small area. He said if I could get the piece off the motor, he would work on it for me. Do you have an idea of what the cost would be to have the part removed?

Thanks Bruce.

If it still latches I wouldn't worry about it. Its just a lower cowling.

If it were mine I'd dead end the crack by drilling a 3/16 hole at the end of the crack.

If that area is weak then a possible a patch of made from aluminum attached with pop rivets.

Can you take a picture?

That's a fairly new motor - I have to imagine that you can still get that part from Honda. I certainly wouldn't total it out. I'm guessing because it is so new you might have a difficult time finding a used part or a salvage. Have you priced the part out yet? Seriously it can't be that much relative to the value of the motor - per NADA and I don't know the specifics of your motor it is appears to be worth around $1200. Good Luck, Paul

That's a fairly new motor - I have to imagine that you can still get that part from Honda. I certainly wouldn't total it out. I'm guessing because it is so new you might have a difficult time finding a used part or a salvage. Have you priced the part out yet? Seriously it can't be that much relative to the value of the motor - per NADA and I don't know the specifics of your motor it is appears to be worth around $1200. Good Luck, Paul

I looked on the web and it appears the part is like $600 new, if I read the list right. That might be for some sort of assembly. I still might try JB Weld if I had all the pieces.

The worst part about the whole thing is that its not even my motor. Its my neighbors, pretty sick about it.

Oh, that's different. Gotta fix it right if it isn't yours, at least that's what I would think. Have you talked to your insurance agent? I wouldn't be surprised if your homeowner insurance wouldn't be applicable to this in some way. And it shouldn't be a big enough claim to get them in an uproar.

I think I would fix it or get it fixed. Then there shouldn't be any hard feelings by one party or the other thinking they got ripped off.

I still think it is probably covered by your home owner's insurance, unless you have one of those huge deductibles.