• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Kansas Bowhunt help

jdon

Hey everyone, Looking for some advice from anyone that has hunted KS in the past. I am heading down for a couple weeks in Nov and plan to hunt public land in zone 14. Any advice would be great. I am very expirienced archer but just trying to understand what to expect.

Thanks

I lived in Herndon, Kansas right out of high school for a while, whick is in the NW corner of the state and the couple of seasons that I hunted there we always tried to stick to the river bottoms and and any big draws we could find that were located next to crops! I know that they used to have different tags for whitetails and Mule deer so you might want to check on that!! Be prepared for every type of weather and lots of wind!! Make sure you have your bleats, grunts, and something to rattle with! Hope this helps a little!

we turkey hunted down in kansas central kansas lots of public land down there. WIND WIND and WIND we had lots down there be prepared for it, our guide showed us pics he has of deer on public land, 200" deer on public land and he laughed like it was nothing. Go where the crowds are basic stuff, just be ready for wind we had to get use to that.

200" deer are HUGE, everywhere, so I highly doubt the pics you saw were of 200"er's.

As far as wind goes, use several stand locations and only hunt the ones that offer the best opportunities into the wind versus a cross wind, also place stands a little closer than normal. Don't let the wind discourage you either, the deer are used to it and will still move, even out in the open. Good luck, be sure to post pics.

Mike

first never said there were 200" deer everywhere, he showed us a few pics of a 200" deer with many others in the 140-180 class. Second you didnt see the pics of the deer so please dont tell me what i didnt see. I would have a few different land options in mind just in case you run into crowds, from what i hear bow season isnt to bad rifle season gets pretty nuts

200" deer on public land and he laughed like it was nothing.

I guess I took it that 200"ers were common because "he laughed like it was nothing."

Not trying to pick a fight, just gets irritating how often huge numbers get thrown around. Kansas, Iowa, Illinois, Canada, you can even use the best outfitters, doesn't really matter, 200" is HUGE and extremely rare. If you have this outfitters contact information, I'd appreciate it, I'll probably be booking a hunt next year, Thanks.

Mike

Mike

i do have his info he really isnt a outfitter he does hunts in his spare time for extra cash, only does a handful of deer hunts a year if that mainly a turkey guy, plus i think he is booked out pretty far we tried to get info from him and he kinda laughed at us