• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New to bow hunting...need advice/tip!

My cousins have been pressuring me to go bow hunting with them for the past couple of years and I decided to give it a try this year. I have never hunt before in my life so this will be a true test for me. I need advice on a good bow to buy. They keep telling me to get the new Z7, which I don't mind and heard a lot of good reviews on it, but the price range may be too high for me. My budget is roughly $1200 for everything (bow, arrow, tree stand, clothes, ect...) So just looking to get something decent for starter.

Advice please, Thanks!

IMO its all about how a bow fits you. Go to a small archery shop (not cabela's or gander, etc) and try out a bunch of bows. See which one feels good to you. If you're just starting out, you may not want to drop a G on a bow when you may not even like it.

figure clothes are going to cost you $150

Stand $50-200

Arrows $50-100

Broadheads $35

Release $40-50

Sight $50-100

Case $35

Quiver $$40

If your planning on going this year the biggest thing is practice. You are going to have to sight in the bow and shot a lot before you're ready to hunt. Drawing a bow will use muscles that aren't often used, so you need some conditioning. Before I started bow hunting, I shot about 30-40 arrows everyday for a month.

personally i wouldnt buy a bow till you shoot it, just because the reviews are good doesnt mean its a good bow for you. Go shoot a bunch of different bows and have a pro shop help set you up might be able to work out a deal for extras at a discount then

Start with a good quality bow, a good tree stand that you can mobile out of, either a hanger with a ladder, or a climber. As for camo, get good camo that you can layer, wash it regularly with scent free soap.

You are behind the 8 ball though. Probably should have bought the bow awhile go and been practicing all summer, but better late than never.

The F7 is a good bow, go with someone that knows something about archery, and try and get set up with a package. You can buy them pretty reasonable and would be a great starter, once you get hooked, and you will get hooked, you will have a better idea of what you want out of a bow and then you can spend the money. Go to a good shop, shoot a bunch of bows, and see what you like. Again, take one of your cousins with you, or a buddy that knows something about bows.

I would be looking at spending between $600 and $700 on a bow package, and then you can easily stick another $300-$500 in a target, arrows, broadheads, field points, camo clothes, deer stands, bow case, stabilizer, release. etc.....

Its kind of like muzzleloading. The guns can be relatively inexpensive, all the accessories add up.

Let us know what you do.

Don't let others tell ya what kind of bow to buy cause everyone is partial to their own brand! Just cause they say to by a mathews doesn't mean that is the bow for you! They all shoot different and have a different feel to them! Run all the different bows through you hand and the one that feels good in your hand is the one you should buy! They will all kill deer if they are sighted in properly and fit you right!! I would tell you to buy the new Bowtech destroyer and that mathews are junk but that is cause i like bowtech and especially the destroyer!!

Go to a shop that is specifically an archery shop! My recommendation would be Minnesota Archery in litchfield....GREAT SHOP and the guys know what they are talking about when it comes to bows and setting your bow up for you!! Stay away from cabelas, gander mountain, sportsmans warehouse...and so on!

I would say to prioritize an invest your $$$ on a bow setup, 3d target, and stand and/or blind first and clothes/accessories second. Definitely check out ground blinds. You can get decent hub style ones from $100 to $200 and they're often just as effective if not more so than stands on field edges and in terrain where you'll stick out like a sore thumb in a tree. Ideally I'd start with one stand and one blind so you have both options. For stands, check out the hang-on, climber and ladder styles to see what you like best. For clothes, I've always went with the bargain camo, getting predator patterns on sale at Cabelas, versus expensive scent control stuff. I outfitted myself for my blinds for less than $50 from Fleet Farm, which bought me a black t-shirt, long-underwear top, sweatshirt and fleece jacket plus baclava and work gloves. Spray the whole deal down with scent killer and you have yourself a temporary scent-lock suit or whatever they call it. And it makes you virtually invisible inside the blind.

Don't let others tell ya what kind of bow to buy cause everyone is partial to their own brand! Just cause they say to by a mathews doesn't mean that is the bow for you! They all shoot different and have a different feel to them! Run all the different bows through you hand and the one that feels good in your hand is the one you should buy! They will all kill deer if they are sighted in properly and fit you right!! I would tell you to buy the new Bowtech destroyer and that mathews are junk but that is cause i like bowtech and especially the destroyer!!

Go to a shop that is specifically an archery shop! My recommendation would be Minnesota Archery in litchfield....GREAT SHOP and the guys know what they are talking about when it comes to bows and setting your bow up for you!! Stay away from cabelas, gander mountain, sportsmans warehouse...and so on!

+1 I would tell you to buy a mathews because the bow-tech is junk! But you ABSOLUTELY need to buy the bow that fits YOU best. doesnt matter if its the top end bow any manufacture or a mid priced bow it has to feel good when you shoot it.