• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Older boats/ Boat Customizing

Hory

I was wondering if anyone has any pictures to share of their older boats that may have been rebuilt or any other boats that have been customized. I know there used to be a thread dedicated to this, but I didn't have any luck locating it. I love seeing other people's projects and unique ideas!

Here is my river boat purchased from a HSO member. For starters the boat is a late 70's lund that is 14 feet long. The previous owner (fishinfey8) removed the middle bench, built a front deck, sanded the whole boat down and repainted it. When I purchased the boat, it was still on the original old trailer, and had a 1977 15hp evinrude. For those that remember seeing the boat in the older thread, I was given a 1996 shorelander trailer for free to take the place of the old one. I put platform areas on the trailer as steps and sanded down a few spots on the trailer and did a little wiring. You will notice that the trailer is a little "over-kill" for such a light shallow river boat... but it will come in handy making long trips to Canada loaded with gear! I also recently decided to put a 1999 mercury 15hp shortshaft on the rig. This boat does everything I need it to do...it is light, has plenty of room, is reliable, and is PAID FOR!

full-32338-1592-boat1.jpg

full-32338-1593-boat2.jpg

full-32338-1594-boat3.jpg

full-32338-1595-boat4.jpg

Nice trailer and motor upgrade(s) Hory! Hope you are having fun with the boat...that thing will last awhile and already has a ton of milage/memories! Did you ever find that matching paint color? If not let me know, I saw it at FF the other day. BTW- does the new motor push the boat any faster? Good luck, -fishinfey

I think I found the matching paint at FF but the touchups I did only required the rest of the can you gave me. I haven't really gotten a chance to compare speed with the new motor. I just backed it into the water and let it run for a few minutes at medium idle on my boat (winterizing). According to a small-engines guru that does repairs, he thinks with just myself in the boat and minimal gear (2-3 rods, tacklebox, smaller anchor) I should push 18-20mph where I was only getting 14-15 with the older motor.

What a nice set of upgrades Hory! I think that trailer is great! Better to have over kill then not enough. The whole rig looks really good too! The addition of the '99 merc sure looks nice! I know this thread is old but never gets old talking about it grin BTW can't believe you got that trailer for free!!! Nice!! Do you know what speed you can do in it?

Nice looking jobs above!

Here are some pics of an 82 Alumacraft classic 16 my and bro did about 7 or so years ago... I used to have a description in an earlier post like this here, but can't find it now, and too lazy to type wink

82 Classic 16

And here are a few of an old 77 Liesure Island pontoon wife and I rehabbed. Turned out nice. Still old, but nice and still use it every weekend in open water season smile

77 Pontoon

I picked up a 1970 25hp johnson this fall and will be picking it up soon from local marine shop. I had them install a new impeller and fix the gear on the linkage. They also fixed the reason the throttle turned so hard which was old grease under the flywheel on stator.They checked the timing for me and carb. Compression was also 135 in each cylinder. Can't wait to run this engine.

One thing I would suggest before you work on an older boat and close up the hull. Check all the rivets for leaks before doing all that work! Fowlmouth30 had a good idea of at least adding the black sealer to the inside bottom before starting the build. That may help with loose rivets from leaking! wink

It maybe added 100lbs tops? Dont quote me on that though! overall it dropped the water line of the boat maybe 2 inches. Since the pics i have added a seat in the front and the back so there wont ever be more than two people in the boat at a time. As for the bottom of the boat, i just used a roll on bed liner and laid it on thick! works like a charm with that and re-sealing the seams with silicone!

One thing you did, and that we did as well when we did ours, was to make the back deck one BIG piece and hinged. It looks good and works good... until you need to access it from inside the boat wink Then you need to work around that big piece. I.e. filling up gas tank from inside boat, leaning in to put in plug (if you do it from inside, ie if your boat is on a lift).

But it looks good! You did a nice job! Looks like maybe not marine plywood, and that may haunt you in future. Again, I know that one from experience wink I have my boat pics posted in other thread, can't find it now, tho long time people here are sick of seeing it, haha!

edit - BTW - I just noticed that we have that EXACT Seaking boat iin 12'!!! It is a great rower as a duck boat, though we left our 12' bare bones to stay lightweight for duck hunting. cool boat!

The back piece is two pieces and hinged in order for me to get to the batteries in the back! Great minds think alike! also, the gas tank is under the door in the back in order for me to pull it out and fill it up being it is only a 3 gallon. The front and the back pieces are marine grade which was a big dent in the wallet but it worked out great!

If you have that gas tank under the deck and it is in an enclosed space, be sure to carry an extinguisher to stay compliant. Would hate to see you get a ticket for a simple oversight.

Mod looks good though. My dad has an old 12' boat similar to that, and he wants to do a little work on it.

I have been seriously considering taking the middle seat out, and adding a low floor (about 3" off the bottom). I'm not a boat engineer, but it seems the seat supports the sides, not the bottom, so all I need to do is support the sides. I think it wouldn't be too hard to make a rod locker, about 1' wide and 6 1/2' long. And maybe just a cabinet thing for storage on the other side. I like how the 12' boat at the top has the storage at the sides. The way I picture it, connecting these to the floor and side of the boat, should be better that the seat ever was, am I right? A pedistool seat in the middle, and I should be set for life. Can I see some more detailed pictures of the sides storage in the 12', fowlmouth30? Also, is there anyway I can mount an actual bow mount trolling motor on my boat?