• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

oil and weights

pulleye16

What brand and weights do you use in your oil? I have a honda and of course it recomends honda oil at 10w-30. They were all out so I bought 10w-40. Anything wrong with using this oil? I will run it for a year covering both summer and winter months and change it every fall. Maybe an "oil tech" can educate me on oil weights an applications.

I run amsoil 0w-40 synthetic in my 700 year round, changing it in the fall, same as you do. Not sure the 10-40 will be light enough for winter. When I didn't run amsoil, I ran 10-40 in the summer and 5-30 in the winter, that was in my last wheeler. I'd recommend the amsoil. I'm sure someone with more "knowledge" about oils and the applications will chime in. The amsoil is made for powersports applications such as wheelers.

I'd say try to find some 5W30 (thinner) if you are going to use it in winter, too. If you are in extended HOT HOT HOT temps, you will need the 10w30 or 10w40 (thicker) weights.

You could also go with a synthetic oil, like what AMSOIL has to offer. They have a 0W40 ("AFF") that is compatible with wet clutch systems (most 5 speeds without a hand clutch). With more info posted about your ATV, people here should be able to make a better recommendation. Model type tranny etc...

Most Hondas have the engine oil and the transmission/clutch separate, so they are a different consideration than most other brands of ATVs. Many other than Honda use the same oil in a common sump for engine, transmission and wet clutch so the oil in them has to be a wet clutch compatable oil - look for a JASO MA or MB when you have a wet clutch. (The ones with automatic transmissions present different questions.) The AMSOIL 0W-40 prod code AFF mentioned by others is wet clutch approved, and the viscosity recommended by most other brands.

Viscosity Question: The first number (the 10W or the 0W) is the cold performance rating (tested at +40 deg) while the second number (-30 or -40) is the hot rating (tested at 200 deg F). Since +40 deg is not representative of Minnesota winter starting conditions, it really doesn't tell you much! You really need to know the pour point or the cold cranking spec which are not on the labels. Most 5W and 10W petroleum oils have pour points of approx. -15 deg, while AMSOIL engine oils will have -55 deg or lower pour points, which translates to much easier cranking in cold weather.

Specifically in your Honda you could run the 0W-40 AFF oil, or you could use either of several 5W-30 or 10W-30 AMSOIL products, my preference would be the AFF, with second choice the ATM 10W-30.

OW-40 Amsoil it has always been since the day I changed it after first service go over at the dealers . Works great in the big bear manual and always solid starts in winter . From my observation I also find that the wheeler runs cooler in summer with it . Amsoil for different applications always has a place on my shelf although I have other brands gathering dust in a corner .lol

TD

Most Hondas have the engine oil and the transmission/clutch separate, so they are a different consideration than most other brands of ATVs. Many other than Honda use the same oil in a common sump for engine, transmission and wet clutch so the oil in them has to be a wet clutch compatable oil - look for a JASO MA or MB when you have a wet clutch. (The ones with automatic transmissions present different questions.) The AMSOIL 0W-40 prod code AFF mentioned by others is wet clutch approved, and the viscosity recommended by most other brands.

Viscosity Question: The first number (the 10W or the 0W) is the cold performance rating (tested at +40 deg) while the second number (-30 or -40) is the hot rating (tested at 200 deg F). Since +40 deg is not representative of Minnesota winter starting conditions, it really doesn't tell you much! You really need to know the pour point or the cold cranking spec which are not on the labels. Most 5W and 10W petroleum oils have pour points of approx. -15 deg, while AMSOIL engine oils will have -55 deg or lower pour points, which translates to much easier cranking in cold weather.

Specifically in your Honda you could run the 0W-40 AFF oil, or you could use either of several 5W-30 or 10W-30 AMSOIL products, my preference would be the AFF, with second choice the ATM 10W-30.

I think I'll look into amsoil from here on out...but I do have almost $40 in oil of 10w-40. Do you see any problem with running this for ONE year hitting both winter and summer? I will probably use this throughout deer season and maybe two-three times during the brunt of winter pulling my fish house to and from my money hole. Do 40 weights have alot of "added chemicals" that can cause damage? In sub zero temps, will this weight cause any damage? Should I let the machine idle longer to help "warm" the oil? I just hate to have to throw away $40 this year. Thanks

I personally wouldn't do it with my machine. I'd rather throw away $40 in oil than thousands on a blown motor rendering your wheeler useless. If it was summer, I'd say go for it, but you may be pushing it. there are other variables such as if you keep it in a garage/etc, but if it were me, I wouldn't do it. That's just my 2 cents worth!! By the way, you can buy enough amsoil to fill a wheeler with $40, what kind of oil did you buy???

One could always get a large, clean screw-top bottle and a clean funnel, and empty it out that way. Mark it correctly and store it 'til spring, and swap out your AMSOIL if you indeed wanted to keep and reuse that next fall. Most peole aren't into reusing oil as part of it's job is to get dirty and bring that dirt our when you change it instead of leaving it on the inner workings of the engine.

Well I thought I'd finish off this thread with some answers straight for the horses mouth. I contacted SEVERAL honda dealerships and they assured me that the 10w-40 was ok. In fact, even thought their service manuals recommend 10w-30, Honda has since switch too 10w-40 and no longer even makes the 10w-30. There new manuals should have the change. I know there may be better options and I'll look into those, but if they recommend 10w-40, you can't go wrong!

I personally wouldn't do it with my machine. I'd rather throw away $40 in oil than thousands on a blown motor rendering your wheeler useless. If it was summer, I'd say go for it, but you may be pushing it. there are other variables such as if you keep it in a garage/etc, but if it were me, I wouldn't do it. That's just my 2 cents worth!! By the way, you can buy enough amsoil to fill a wheeler with $40, what kind of oil did you buy???

You are not going to ruin an engine using 10W40. If that were the case there would be atvs in smoking heaps all over the state. The Amsoil is probably better for cold weather, but don't worry about damage.

After Honda made that change, my Rincon needed more time to warm up prior to riding. Bad tranny slippage otherwise. It was never an issue until I changed to the 10w40.

Thanks for the heads up. Do you use 10w-40 year round? Are you considering and know anyone with a honda that uses something else? One dealer told me that amsoil maybe TOO good and causes slippage as well. Wish honda had a 0w-30.

When I first purchased the machine, the first few oil changes were with 10w30 which I ran year round.

Keep in mind the Rincon has a hydraulic transmission that uses the crankcase oil for the tranny too.

What the oilman recommended for your machine should be good.

When I first purchased the machine, the first few oil changes were with 10w30 which I ran year round.

Keep in mind the Rincon has a hydraulic transmission that uses the crankcase oil for the tranny too.

What the oilman recommended for your machine should be good.

That is what I thought. The Rincon is a whole different animal than most. I still stand by my claim that 10W40 will not harm your engine. There are better options but it will not harm your engine.

There you go!! If your dealer told you it's fine, you should be good. I have always trusted my dealers word too. I just always get nervous. I've done "the test".... take a bottle of 10w 40 and a bottle of 0w 40 and pour some out when it's below zero. I spend lots of cold winter nights on Mille Lacs where the wheeler is outside and it can get -30, so I always want oil that will flow!!!

There you go!! If your dealer told you it's fine, you should be good. I have always trusted my dealers word too. I just always get nervous. I've done "the test".... take a bottle of 10w 40 and a bottle of 0w 40 and pour some out when it's below zero. I spend lots of cold winter nights on Mille Lacs where the wheeler is outside and it can get -30, so I always want oil that will flow!!!

I have the same thoughts, I trust them as they "SHOULD" be the experts but when Honda recomends an oil weight, part of me says they "average" the use out for all over the country, not just MN. I don't use it alot in the dead of winter, but like you, when sitting on the ice in sub zero temps I want a machine that works.

Riich-THANKS, thats exactly what I'm looking for! Too bad the dealership I went to didn't have that. Is your rancher a manual clutch (wet)? How long have you been running that.

It's funny cause when I asked how much oil I needed (I told him i thought a couple quarts) he told me "no...way more then that." He then went to look it up and told me 4.9! I didn't have time to look before going as they closed in 20 minutes but it's actually 2.5. hmmmmm....oh well, extra for next year I guess. I know I got the answer from Honda about 10w-40 and I know its safe but I like results...from actual users and obviously your dealer must have his head on straight as 0w-30 makes more sense to me for MN use year round and it is Honda oil so I know I'm safe.

THANKS EVERYONE!!