• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Should I upgrade to an SLR camera?

I have been using a point and shoot that is really simple to use, and it takes pretty good pics, but I wonder if it is time to upgrade. I would like to be able to have better quality pictures, but am a little intimidated by anything that is too complicated. I mainly like to take pics of scenery and storms, but also macro, and am interested in some wildlife photography too, one thing my camera does not do well.

any suggestions?

It really is not that tough to figure out a SLR and the overall flexibility and control makes your shots that much better. It will cost more to play and most of that will come from buying good glass. There are plenty of great bodies for sale at some very reasonable prices. Find yourself a Canon 30D with around 10,000 shots and you spend around $300to $450 depending on condition. Glass could be as cheap as $100 for a 50mm lens or as expensive as a $10,000 depending on the lens. It is a great hobby and give you something to do while your enjoying the great outdoors.

Wildlife is one thing that point 'n shoots will have a hard time with. Camera shake, quality, autofocus, and magnification are all places where a point 'n shoot will come up short. All will be reduced or eliminated by switching to a DSLR. The trade off is cameras and lenses can be expensive, heavy and big.

For landscapes and macro a point 'n shoot would do fine. The quality will be better on a DSLR and their are more options to get a bit better picture with a DSLR. But some of the high end point 'n shoots come close to being as good.

I have both cameras, and the newer point and shoots have gotten quite good as far as image stabalzation, and iso coverage ect. Many of them will even shoot in raw. In our household we have a Canon DSLR with all the spendy toys like flashes, different lenses, 100-400L, 100macro, 17-85is usm carryaround lense, 28-55 backup lense and a nifty 50 on the way. Also we ahve a Panasonic lumix point and shoot with Leica Lense and a Nikon point and shoot, IF you want to continue with your point and shoot, you could always do some digiscoping.

Digiscoping is the process of hooking your point and shoot, or dslr with an adapter to a telescope, or spotting scope. THere is one gentlman here on the forum who uses this method almost exclusivly for wildlife and has great results. Just do a search on the forum for Jonnyredhorse.

Like others here I have a closet full of "good" SLRS and DSLR's but with the exception of serious wildlife photography you will find some amazing stuff coming out of the small P&S cameras. While there are others, I have a little Nikon Coolpix L22 in my pocket or truck all time. Bought it as quick deal to take on an ad-hoc fishing trip and was STUNNED to see the results, assuming I took care and did my part.

Keep in mind a couple things I do: use my serious tripod and shoot a lot of stuff with timer!! Solid!