• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ann Arbor

Hey guys, Just wondering what the outdoor opportunities are like around the Ann Arbor area? I am applying for the job in the area, and have a feeling it may work out. What kind of fish? Muskies, walleyes? What about salmon/trout fishng? Grouse hunting? Deer Hunting? It looks close to detroilet...is it ghetto?

Ann Arbor is very nice, especially the countryside around it. You have everything that you just mentioned but you'll have to drive to Lk Erie. There are some WMA's around there but most of the land is pvt so you'll be asking for permission. If you are accustomed to the city then you won't have a problem there. I grew up about 3 hrs to the west in Grand Rapids and love MI.

Like lakerunner said, it's a very nice city and everything you're looking for is a short drive away. I went to school in Mt. Pleasant and spent a lot of time hunting and fishing in the Traverse City area (Lake Leelanau to be more specific). Most of my outdoors time was spent north of Mt. Pleasant, but I do know Lake St. Clair has some great opportunities for fishing. Good luck on the job, hope you get it.

Awesome, thanks alot for the information guys, i'm very excited, hopefully i get the job. Sounds like an awesome place, only problem is, its 12 hours away from Duluth...and there aren't steelhead in Ann Arbor frown Your input definitely has me more excited about this opportunity

Don't be too quick to complain about the steelheading! Most of us that have lived in MI would love to go back because of the steelheading!! You will be living close to 5 of the top 10 rivers in North America (Alaska including) for fishing for steelhead and salmon. Duluth is nothing for steelheading. You will have access to large fish river fishing (salmon, steelhead, lake-run browns) 9 months of the year!

Yup, steelhead and salmon in the river are available for the better part of the year. Rivers like the Manistee, St. Joesph, Betsie and the Pere Marquette have some pretty impressive fishing in the summer. I think there's a strain of Steelhead called Skamania that can handle water temps up to the 70's and stay in the rivers and streams all summer.

Shiner--you're right and wrong. There is a Skamania strain but they don't stay in the rivers, they just run up them and spawn and return. The kings though, like to run right after the skamani and will stay in until they die. The rivers there though rarely get over 60-62 degrees--even the big ones like the Muskegon, Grand, Manistee as long as you are below the dams. Backwaters, that is another story.

Boy I miss it there!!! My brother has been hammering kings off of Grand Haven and has picked up a few in the Little Manistee. Fishing options are endless!!!

You're right Lakerunner, my bad. I should have elaborated as they run in the summer (Late May-Sept) as opposed to the spring/fall like the "traditional" steelhead. That's what I meant by "stay" in the river for the summer. Either way, like you said, the fishing opportunities are endless!

gooty--if you haven't gotten the hint by now, when you get that job and you move to MI, you won't be disappointed. It is different fishing and different cultures but if you like the outdoors, you will love MI! All of it, the UP (yoopers are the locals) and the LP (loopers are the locals) and of course you will be called a "flatlander" being that you will be living in the southern LP.

Enjoy!!

Lol, im a recent college graduate, so no money for this guy, looks like an awesoem boat tho...everything i wish i had. Sent out the application for the job today, its a position with Ducks Unlimited, and am crossing my fingers.

I work at the University of Michigan a fair bit (Michigan State, Wayne State, and the University of Detroit Mercy, too), so I know my way around A2, East Lansing, and Detroit fairly well. While I'm in Michigan, I usually find time to fish, too.

In A2, you have the Huron River, which is dammed in to several reservoirs--GBarton Pond, Geddes Pond, Ford Lake--in and below A2. I've had limited success on the Huron in town, which is above where the steelhead run can go. I've mostly caught rock bass, largemouth, bluegill, and Northern out of the Huron in A2.

I did get a 28" steelhead, along with some nice walleye and channel cat, out of the Grand River in Lansing, but that is about seventy miles from A2.

I also had some success ice-fishing for walleye in Brest Bay on Lake Erie, which is south of Detroit, but the ice there can be tricky. In addition to pressure ridges and varying ice thickness, a west wind can blow that ice out on to the main lake, along with anyone sitting on it.

I've also ice-fished Whitmore Lake and Independence Lake, both of which are about fifteen miles from A2. Both had a lot of small perch, some decent-sized bluegill, and a good number of sub-legal Northern and largemouth.

Gooty, Did you get the job in Ann Arbor? I know this thread is kind of old, but I grew up in the Detroit area. My folks now live on Silver lake in the Coldwater area (1.25 hr from Ann Arbor). If you are interested in musky, check out Hudson Lake. It is within an hour of Ann Arbor and is an excellent musky lake. The DNR stocks this lake extensively. If it walleye you are after, you are only about an hour from Breast Bay on Lake Erie. Breast Bay is a true walleye factory. I did a little bit of steel head fishing as a kid on the banks of the Huron River (near the mouth). I only had limited success, but it is within an hour of Ann Arbor. I hope this info helps out.

i grew up in Ann Arbor... hope you got the job - i saw that posting last year

good fishin on the Huron right in town if you put in a bit of time wading or have a canoe/kayak.

plenty of smaller lakes around that offer good bass and panfish, and like others said, Lake Erie isn't too far away. Muskies - Lake Saint Clair and the Detroit River are well known musky factories, within easy day driving distance too

Ann Arbor and the surrounding area is real nice. You will be near two of the best fishing areas on the planet,Lake Erie and Lake St Clair. We have literally every species of northern fresh water fish available.Further you will be in Michigan an outdoor paradise. I hope y

ou do come we need more sportsmen here. Good luck.